Hot GTV - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 36 Old 10-12-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hot GTV

Hi

Had my V6 GTV for about 7 weeks now, love it but it's starting to give me some trouble. When I first got it it took forever to warm up, sometimes it wouldn't get above 70 degrees. Thought it might be the thermostat but then it seemed to get better.

The last couple of times I've been in it it went sailing past 90 and sat at around 110 - 120 in traffic, the fan may have come on but it didn't drop in temperature and yesterday it got to about 110 again after only a couple of miles.

What's this likely to be, water pump, thermostat or radiator? I need it fixed but scared to drive it too far in case it gets too hot and everything turns expensive so I need some trustworthy independent near North London.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

wrinx

Re: Hot GTV

Double check the fan is coming on properly....then I'd go for the radiator if it only happens in traffic.

What's the high speed driving like? If this fluctuates as well then water pump, but the pump doesn't usually affect slow running.

wrinx

(Post Link) post #3 of 36 Old 10-12-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

It's only happened in traffic so far but I'm a bit reluctant to go too far now in case it gets above 110 again when I'm miles from home. I have to go a long way to get anything like real speed though as there's no way to get above 30mph in London.

I'll have another test this afternoon, see what happens.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

This is the same problem I was having with my QV. The cause was the cooling fan. Check the fuse under the cover next to the top of the passenger side suspension strut.
Mine was blown, so I fitted a new fuse and that blew too, it turns out my fan is buggered. Maybe the heat from the exhaust damages the motor over time?
AO Member

mine performs the same way... it gets hot 100 to 100 deg when in traffic but generally norms at 90 deg... they say its just normal!
wrinx

Err...no, the fan should keep it at a reasonable temperature (92-95)...that's what it's for

wrinx

(Post Link) post #7 of 36 Old 10-12-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Well that was a bit of fun. To see if it got hot at speed had a bit of a run...it does. One recovery van later it turns out I have a hole in the radiator which is now very large.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

That would certainly account for some of the problems
wrinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundfood
Well that was a bit of fun. To see if it got hot at speed had a bit of a run...it does. One recovery van later it turns out I have a hole in the radiator which is now very large.
...sorry, at least you know now

wrinx

(Post Link) post #10 of 36 Old 12-12-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Turns out it's a bit more serious than just the radiator - the head gaskets are gone too..
Does £2400 sound reasonable for a fix for that?
Bert Cheese

Warning Re: Hot GTV

2400.........you could buy a whole GTV6 for that.......albeit a rough one.

..A new rad and both head gaskets is a fair old job,but the parts can be obtained at reasonable cost.........I'd be very interested to know what rate you are being charged for labour and how long they say the job will take?

(Post Link) post #12 of 36 Old 12-12-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

I have no idea - that's what a West London Alfa garage is charging. And that doesn't include the other £1600 worth of work that's 'essential'.

I've already spent more than £6k getting the GTV, I'm pot-committed.

I know I may have cooked the oil when the rad broke but that's, what, 6 litres? This will be the 2nd cambelt change in 500 miles. Not happy about that and the repair bill is very close to write off territory...
AO Member

County: -

Christ thats awful roundfood, i'm sorry to hear that mate. I had a problem with my rad too. Thankfully I only ever did short journeys to work and luckily spotted a puddle of water under the front of the car and investigated... What are the tell-tale signs of a head gasket problem then if there are any? I've heard bluey-grey smoke from the exhaust is a sign. Is this right so I/others can look and not suffer the same misfortune?
(Post Link) post #14 of 36 Old 14-12-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

I know nothing about head gaskets except they 'go' when the engine gets too hot.

The garage tells me that when they looked there was no thermostat either. Can't have helped things.

I would have hoped that the garage who did my cambelt change/service might have found that out when I had that done last month...
Bert Cheese

Wave Re: Hot GTV

It may be that whoever had the car before you removed the thermostat in an effort to mask the symptoms of a damaged radiator.

The water pump could well do with investigation too,as the plastic impellers are liable to disintegrate or slip on the drive shaft causing circulation problems........there is an upgraded item available now with a metal impeller which is far less likely to fail in this way.

AO Member

Member car:

GTV 2.0 ts

My car had a similar problem but a new radiator solved it completely.
Reading this forum lead sme to think it's a quite sensitive system.
(Post Link) post #17 of 36 Old 17-12-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

After reading some of the other threads I'm a bit worried that the overheating problem may not be fixed by a new radiator. The garage says the cylinder heads have been off and filed recently too, something the seller didn't mention just as he didn't mention the missing thermostat and the wrong size air filter that was on the car when I bought it.

Why take the engine apart before changing the radiator? If you can afford to do that why take the thermostat off? It might explain why he sold it to me weeks later...

I've bought a dog and now the repairs have cost me virtually what the car cost I'm not overly happy about what's happened.

1 day after buying my gtv 2.0 it overheated and cut out on me, i thought it might of been the head gasket aswell. luckily it was the radiator corroded away. while going along the temp was fine but as soon as i was stationary the temp shot up as there was no air flowing over the engine. Fingers crossed for you mate that its just the radiator as i was in a similar situation. no i am having problems with a idle at standstill.
Bert Cheese

Wave Re: Hot GTV

Rich......what do you do with a GTV on the I.O.W??

Nice place n'all,but theres not too much tarmac and hundreds of old dears in Maxi's and Cortinas bumbling about ..........Ok a slight exaggeration,but it can be a bit of a time warp in places......

I quite often pop over to Cowes on the ferry for a few pints,the only time we took a car it was a mates Skoda Estelle,with 5 of us crammed in it we had a bit of trouble getting around Ventnor.....a tad steep in places.

....... Oh gawd I'm waffling again........

AO Platinum Member

Sounds like you've been sold a lemmon I'm afraid The previous owner obviously didn't maintain the car very well, and it looks as if you're paying for it now
(Post Link) post #21 of 36 Old 22-12-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Actually the previous owner or his garage deliberately removed the thermostat instead of replacing the radiator which has cost me around £3400 on top of the cost of £4900 just 7 weeks ago. Since he failed to point out the fact that this had happened and he'd had the cylinder heads off recently too I think it's misrepresentation and he'll soon be getting a letter informing him that I'd like to see him in the small claims court.
AO Platinum Member

Good for you, I hope you get your money back.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Spider

Happy days, hope you stiff him for as much as you can, hopefully you can get the car tip top at his expense.

hey FLO yeah the island is a bit of a time warp, but the alfa isnt to bad, especially on the country roads when it can get opened up to hear the sound of the engine. I know what u mean about ventnor to, love the winding road down to he seafront. It reminds me of the bit on the monaco race circuit. looking for a weekend car next year, have got my heart set on a vx220. Rich
AO Member

County: Isle of Wight

Member car:

GTV

Hot GTV

Hi, just bought a GTV and also having the same problem of overheating whilst waiting in traffic.

Just generally curious as to what happened in the end with over heating problems from all who have posted on here?

Thanks,
Suse

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
gtv , hot