temperature gauge not working - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 09-12-06 Thread Starter
AO Member
temperature gauge not working

alfa spider 1996 2.0TS

temperature gauge has not worked since i bought the car, can anyone advise of location so i can check the connection, bit concerned as fan starts pretty much straight away after starting & heater only only blows lukewarm air at full heat setting.

Radiator is full and there are no leaks btw

hopefully its just a matter of replacing the sender unit or a loose connection

Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: temperature gauge not working

The temperature gauge connector is on top of the thermostat which is on the right hand side of the engine looking from the front. Follow the radiator top hose to the thermostat. If the connection is loose, the fuel injector light will stay on when the engine is running indicating that part of the engine monitoring system is not working properly.

Since you say that the radiator fan comes on very early, then that is worrying since mine hardly ever comes on in normal driving. If the thermostat is stuck open and there is a fault in the fan circuit which means the fan is always running then the coolant probably never gets more than lukewarm, which would explain why there is not much heat from the heater. on the other hand, there may be air in the heater matrix preventing the heater working properly even though the engine is too hot. Feel the temperature of the top hose after you have been driving for about 2-3 miles, or when the fan comes on. If it is hot then you probably have air in the system. If that is the case, get a good mechanic to check it out soon or you may risk damaging the cylinder head.

Last edited by bjrn; 09-12-06 at 22:14.
AO Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Hi sounds like thermostat stuck by the way has you GTV got air con if it has when you switch the ignition on doe,s the light come on on your heater controls if it does this will run the fans for the AC. Just as bjrn has said check you radiator pipes!!!! be carefull because these can get rather hot!!!
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 11-12-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

thanks for the help and advice,
checked her over this morning and fan came on as usual top hose lukewarm.
disconnected fan connector and car slowly warms up to about 80 degrees on tickover for about 15 minutes with the odd blip of the accelorator. So we now have a fan coming on when its cold problem instead of a tempereature gauge problem.
the fans wiring is connected as follows:
blue/black wire (plug) conected to red/brown wire (plug) on fan motor.
brown/white wire (plug) connected to brown/blue wire (spade connector) on fan housing at top centre of engine bay.
black earth wire from housing bolt to bonnet bolt? (looks like a 'bodge' by someone!)
there is also a orange/grey wire (plug) in this area not connected to anything.

i could really do with a workshop manual & wiring diagram!

thanks again for all the help, much appreciated, at least i know my temp gauge works now!
is it alright to drive at this time of year with the fan disconnected? hardly a heatwave in Northern England at the moment!
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Spider

Sounds like a sticking relay to me, Check relays I99 and I100 in the main fusebox. One has a yellow base and is 30A (I99), one black and 50A (I100).

Hope that helps.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

gauge , temperature , working