Alfa Romeo GTV 7.5” Front Speaker Fitting Guide - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 31-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GTV 7.5” Front Speaker Fitting Guide

It’s no secret that the standard speakers fitted to the GTV are pants. I decided to change mine and write a guide as my small contribution to the forum.

Required Equipment

7.5” Speakers: I chose FLI Integrator 57 5"x7" Car Door Coaxial Speakers three-way speakers. They’re pretty good, although nothing amazing at around £25 a pair. The speakers don’t extend too far backwards into the metal part of the door and can be hacked up (more on this later) to coax into the irregular speaker hole

Speaker Wire: Included with the FLIs, but not included with the 6.5” speakers I bought for the rear. Best to check.

Tin Snips: To cut up the screw holes in the speakers

Hammer: Encouragement

File: Sharp metal wins vs. soft skin

Pliers: Manipulate metal

Small to big positive and flat head screw drivers: A selection

Terminal Blocks (2x2): Neat and safe wires

01) First remove the plastic decorative ring around the top of the speakers.

March - Misc 086.jpg

There is no way they would fit with this in place. Also, any aesthetic considerations of the speakers are mute as they will be covered by the standard speaker covers

02) Next, use the hammer to bend back the screw holes on the 7” axis of the speaker.

March - Misc 090.jpg

Once done, use a combination of the tin snips and pliers to remove the four screw holes on the 5” axis.

03) The cutting will leave some nasty sharp edges. Without filing these down it’s almost certain that you will cause yourself some damage when trying to fit the speakers into the door.

March - Misc 088.jpg

04) Remove speaker cover. Best to use a small flat head screw driver to avoid damage.

March - Misc 091.jpg

Amazingly, my door speakers had the 6.5” speakers from the rear!!! These cars never fail to amaze. Remove them and throw them away in disgust.

04) Remove the standard speaker connector to expose the bare wire. Might have been a good idea to remove the negative battery terminal as I was handling live wire. Oh well.

06) Fit the terminal blocks to the speaker wire

March - Misc 095.jpg

Take the new speaker wire, cut a decent length (around 10cm should be plenty).

Use a sharp knife to cut a centimetre off the end of the positive and negative new speaker wires (twist the exposed wire to make it easier to fit into the terminal block)

06) Fit the new speaker wire into the terminal block. For the Phase II GTV the speaker wire polarity goes as follows:

Red/Black = Left Front Pos,
White/Black = Left Front Neg

Pink/Black = Right Front Pos
Purple/Black = Right Front Neg

Orange = Left Rear Pos
Orange/White = Left Rear Neg

Light Blue/Black = Right Rear Pos
Light Blue = Right Rear Neg

07) Connect up the speaker to the wire and give it a test. Not much fun if you go to all the trouble of fitting and no sound comes out…

08) Fit the speaker in the gap to get an idea of how much filing you need to do to get this just right. Keep trying to fit as you start filing erring on the conservative side.

09) Remove both catches on 5” speaker cover axis. The speakers I bought were too big to retain the top and bottom catches. The two on the 7” axis should be plenty to keep the speaker cover in place

10) File the plastic holes in the door trim where the speaker will reside. For mine I only had to make enough space for the catches on the speaker covers 7” axis to be able to fit around the expanded speakers.

11) When you are satisfied that the speakers and the speaker covers will co-exist in a tidy manner in the car door, screw the speakers in (you may notice that I only secured the speaker with one screw. That’s all that remained to hold the original speaker! I suggest you use more if possible).

March - Misc 102.jpg

12) Fit the speaker covers and then move onto the opposite side.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Bedfordshire
Instead of cutting the car's wiring and using those connectors, it would probably have been better to use the proper adapters. See eBay 250514639073. They're only £1.79 delivered and you don't have the hassle of identifying which wire is which because the red adapter wire is connected to housing terminal 1 ( +ve from head unit ).
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 01-04-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

Hi pkr,

I had a quick look for the adapters and couldn't find one - looks like you were more successful. I have a load of terminal blocks lying around and so I was glad to be able to use them here.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

75” , alfa , fitting , front , gtv , guide , romeo , speaker , speakerreplacements