releasing sound character of v6 GTV? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 22-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

tvr

releasing sound character of v6 GTV?

Open to suggestions on best 'bang for buck' options of releasing the Busso character more fully - particularly within cab of well insulated GTVs

Carbon air box looks a good bet, however not heard one and perhaps a little expensive for an empty box - I imagine this is however the best area to release a soulful v6 warble from - the tuned exhaust route is perhaps more an external benefit?

Last time I researched exhausts a Wizard quad + variable component options forward of rear section appeared favourable - any indi designs that offer better sound for less cost?

Anyone ever researched fitting guitar type sound transducer to airbox and equalising / tuning to play back through forard speakers? - Might be cheaper option and if principle works, infinitely tuneable to indiv taste? - Not a lot of performance gain I grant you....but rather than throwing many hundreds at aquiring 10hp it might be more rewarding to releasing full character of the highly regarded Busso sound?

Lightening flywheel when clutch due for replacement might substitute for the feel of those illusive additional few horses -

Dare say a 'subtle' nitrous fogger set-up would be fun too - say just 50bhp via 'kick-down' button between say 2.5 & 5.5k rpm should be safe? ..but then you start looking at Quaife etc... (unless 1st and 2nd gears are excluded) - extra 50 bhp from 2.5k in 3rd might be useful (any lower rpm and engine may show the strain?)

Lot of fantasy here I know, however if you can indulge me, perhaps we can find 'some additional 'cheap thrills' to enhance the BussoGTV

I have yet to experience a v6 spider with crackling quad set-up - so maybe a cat bypass + quad rear, superlight fwheel and modded airbox+ Spider may be the way to get the in-cab character sought.

I shall be going to Sywell Airfield meet (AROC) beginning next month, so if anyone has any of these mods I shall be keen to experience them

When is next Midlands meet / show other than above?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Oxfordshire
Cheapest option - tunnel & window down
AO Member

County: Worcestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by swallow View Post
Cheapest option - tunnel & window down
Especially with a wizard!
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk
Get a Q2 or Quaife diff. They allow you to put the torque you already have down far more effectively than the standard set up.
This is the very first upgrade to get.
AO Member

I removed the intake resonator boxes for more induction growl, replaced with a straight pipe, kept the standard airbox, and put in a Pipercross OE style foam filter. Adds some meat from the engine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1395525350294.jpg (59.7 KB, 18 views)
(Post Link) post #6 of 10 Old 23-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

tvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobson284 View Post
I removed the intake resonator boxes for more induction growl, replaced with a straight pipe, kept the standard airbox, and put in a Pipercross OE style foam filter. Adds some meat from the engine.
does this definitely give more of a 'warble' or same detail and just louder?

Did the resonator box have an airflow function, ie sorts out some gasflow harmonic issues (turbulence problems) - if it was just a shaped empty box, I cant see what else it could be for - or was it baffled with sound absorbent material to act as a silencer?
(Post Link) post #7 of 10 Old 23-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

tvr

Hobson - what is forward of Wizard quad rear?
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffster View Post

Did the resonator box have an airflow function, ie sorts out some gasflow harmonic issues (turbulence problems) - if it was just a shaped empty box, I cant see what else it could be for - or was it baffled with sound absorbent material to act as a silencer?
Some have said it provides more instant air when you put the foot to the floor. I believe its main function is sound deadening from the induction roar. Without it it does provide more of a growl/roar from under the bonnet. There's no restrictions or foam in there at all.
AO Member

Quote:
Hobson - what is forward of Wizard quad rear?
I have a twin exit setup, and its one carefully crafted box, the cat, and thats it. Without a cat I presume it would be ridiculously loud, as its rather ear bending now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1395569510570.jpg (39.5 KB, 11 views)
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1605
County: West Yorkshire
Quote:

It's purely for quieting the engine noise down, just empty boxes designed in a shape to reduce induction noise.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
character , gtv , releasing , sound