If you're like me, trying ways to save money by learning new things and being resourceful you may be interested in this.
Typical oil cooler leak, I could have paid for someone to fix it, or gone down the Autolusso/Mocal kit route.
I purchased a second hand oil cooler with pipes from Loz at Autolusso Bournemouth to be used as a back. (It was needed)
The first picture shows the source of the leak, the dark patch under the pipe where it meets the housing for the braided hose.
I knew that I would not be able to get the cooler off, while the whole thing was attached to the car so I used an angle grinder to partly cut through the pipe at a point before the leak, making sure the direction of the sparks didn't go on the car. I don't recommend using an angle grinder. A small hacksaw is safer but I had a fire extinguisher close by.
Now that the cooler was free, I wanted to save the oil cooler, but getting the seized bolt off the remaining pipe is nigh on impossible using ratchets and socket sets. My first attempt was to make use of the angle grinder, to cut just deep enough into the seized nut to break it. Unfortunately I didn't realise the power of the angle grinder, and although successful in getting it free, I also ruined the threads on the oil cooler.
Lesson learned, on the second oil cooler I used the angle grinder just enough to make a few nicks then proceeded to use a hacksaw to cut enough angles into the nut just low enough that I could see the oil coolers threads. I then used a hammer and old screwdriver to break off the nut until it could be levered off using mole grips.
What I am left with is an oil cooler, without the attached pipes. The next stage will be to go down to Pirtek and ask them to make up some new pipes to attach to old pipe. I plan on cutting the old pipe back far enough to ensure there is no rust, and waxoyl whatever's left.
I've attached pictures of the oil coolers, the second pic is my first attempt of removing the cooler from the pipes, notice the ruined threads.
You'll see in the background of the third pic, that the pipes sent to me had pretty much had it. That housing bit holding the braided hose was split, but the oil cooler seemed ok.
I'll post back with more pics of Pirteks solution.
Last edited by Dva; 20-03-14 at 08:21.
Reason: Wrong pic uploaded
Hot topic at the moment oil coolers and I, like the OP am always keen to save a couple of tanks worth of fuel by thinking about methods of doing a job equally well but for less. Given that some have had the cooler bypassed in this country, would something like this; Http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mocal-10-R...item3f3185a736
be up to the job? The lines to attach from this cooler to the hard lines surely wouldn't be too pricey, or in fact the alfaholics full lines plus this cooler would work out to be 260.
There's a lot of hind sights here, mainly being having a longer think. However, I made use of the tools I had, the angle grinder cost me £10 off eBay 3 years ago and this was the first time I used it! The hacksaw was hanging up and hadn't had use in about 5 years. I tried the heat option with a blow torch but no good. All I have to do now is fit these pipes from Pirtek and see how it goes.
well done so far mate. Don't get too defensive about the ' hindsight'. The best ' How to' guides ones that show the errors as well as the successes. It means the best way to do the job is found. Not having a Dremel myself, I would probably have used an angle grinder too, but now having read this I might consider buying a Dremell to make the job easier.
Well, after much huffing and puffing, oil squirting and coming out with every obscenity in the English (and some Creole) language I replaced the hoses from Pirtek with some simple rubber ones which required hose clasps. Then after even more huffing and puffing and colourful language, cheap tool buying, I,e dremel (brilliant) swaging tool, Vaseline, and blow torch finally got them on. Had it checked by a local garage who said that the hoses were quite low but fine. Will probably take it down to my regular mechanic to do a better job, but for now it works. Incidentally the replacement hoses were £20, so big thanks to Pirtek for that one. And nice one to Mitch and Swallow for the dremel, couldn't have done without it....
Last edited by Dva; 05-04-14 at 21:09.
Reason: Forgot to add pic