Spider - Changing the thermostat - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 20-11-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Spider - Changing the thermostat

1999 Spider 2.0l

Having resolved the problem of lack of power above 4000rpm (air flow meter). My 1999 Spider is really flying now. However I have noticed that the temperature gauge rarely ventures above 50 degrees C except when in traffic. Having consultated the manual and a search on this site and others it would appear that the fault lies with the thermostat, being permenately open.

According to the manual the thermostat should open at 82 degrees C to allow the coolant to flow to the radiator and then regualate the temperature by opening and closing as the temperature fluctuates keeping it at around 88 degrees C.

I have orderd a new thermostat and would appreciate any hints, tips, watch out fors, before I tackle the job.

Any advice or feedback from anyone who has had this problem would be most welcome

Geoff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

Re: Spider - Changing the thermostat

Quite a simple job, but get new jubilee clips for all the hoses.

It is a good time to replace all your coolant too.
wrinx

I did this job last night and have done it before...even so, it's easy enough from a technical viewpoint....but from a sheer frustration POV and pain (skinned knuckles!), it's not simple

Seriously...some of the clips are a real pain to get off (just jam a screwdriver in and twist) and it's generally an awkward but not difficult job.

There are, from memory, three different sizes of clips and I think six in total (or 5).

Work from the top down, you may need to undo the stat and turn it over to get access to the bottom two or three.

wrinx

AO Member

Make sure you have the right thermostat, there are 2 types on the Spider, one has an extra pipe underneath you can not see untill its off - yes I was that muppet.

Luckily it was the right one for the Sportwagon, both 2.0 TS but different stats.
AO Member

I had to replace my thermostat too when I accidently broke off one of the plastic connector pipes whilst putting the airbox bag after replacing the clutch cylinder. Why make have of it out of plastic?? could it be on purpose so you have to buy a new one for around £50 instead of around £10 like the german cars lol
(Post Link) post #6 of 16 Old 27-11-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

At last a break in the weather and I managed to get time to fit the thermostat, which I obtained from Rapid Factors in Salisbury for 38.

The task was relatively easy once those weird hose clips were removed.

Topped up the system with Paraflu just to be on the safe side.

The temperature now runs at a steady 85ish and just a little over 90 when foot hard to the floor. The car drives much better now, more reponsive, smoother on and off the throttle. So much better than when I bought it over a month ago. How the previous owner put up with it is beyond me.

Just the rear pads and disc's to do once I get hold of a caliper piston wide back tool, some more dry weather and some free time.

County: -
gauge not showing anything

hello
I have just joined the club with my rather splendid 916 Spider
The temp gauge not showing any sort of reading. I have checked fuses but nothing burnt... could this be the thermostat
how do I check if reading?
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaspider View Post
hello
The temp gauge not showing any sort of reading. I have checked fuses but nothing burnt... could this be the thermostat
Don't take this as gospel but I would think if you leave engine running idle for a few mins you will hear the fan kicking in and after a while cutting out. That should be a sign the thermostat is ok and so the the problem lies elsewhere.
AO Member

County: Troms
Garage
i changed my thermos, coolant temp sensor, radiator fan sensor, all the fuses. its still reading 60-75 ish on the temp gauge. fan has never kicked in. im guessing its a faulty thermostat? im not sure as the thermos was closed when i bought it. so it has opened since then.
AO Silver Member

County: Bristol
Quote:
hello
You have 2( possibly 3 if an early phase 1) temp sensors. The one that operates the gauge is mounted directly in the side of the engine behind thermostat. You can test if it's working with a multimeter set to measure resistance. Should be about 2000 when cold and 200 when hot. If this is OK then problem is with gauge or fuse/wiring.
AO Member

County: Norfolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEOFFs125 View Post
Just the rear pads and disc's to do once I get hold of a caliper piston wide back tool, some more dry weather and some free time.
Did my rear brakes last month. Got a brake rewind kit on fleabay that will fit most cars for about 12. Made the job so easy. Sprayed all the nuts and bolts the day before with penetrating oil and it all came apart with no problems.
AO Member

Quote:
hello
My GTV was doing exactly the same. I thought it was the sender until I got caught in traffic and the needle moved. I had it booked in with Alfashop and they fitted a new thermostat for just the cost of the part when they were doing the cam belt. Gauge worked fine for a few weeks then nothing again. Fan kicking in and out so not sure if I am just unlucky with thermostats or it is something else.
AO Silver Member

Fan is switched on by the ECU which gets its temp readings from the sender in the thermostat housing. Gauge is operated by sender in block behind thermostat housing.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdanny View Post
Fan is switched on by the ECU which gets its temp readings from the sender in the thermostat housing. Gauge is operated by sender in block behind thermostat housing.
Is it the same on a ph2 with 4 pin connecter on the sender? I'm sure somebody said on another thread ph1s have the sender for the fan and one for the gauge and ph2s just have one that does both. But I could be wrong.
AO Silver Member

Early phase 1 have a sender directly on the radiator for fan control. All others fan is controlled by ECU via thermostat sender. Gauge by sender in block
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdanny View Post
Early phase 1 have a sender directly on the radiator for fan control. All others fan is controlled by ECU via thermostat sender. Gauge by sender in block
I was under the bonnet earlier and no sign of another sender for the gauge in the block. Where is it?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
changing , spider , thermostat