Bizarre starter problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Thread Tools Search this Thread
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 09-03-14 Thread Starter
Status: -
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States
County: Indiana
Posts: 1
Bizarre starter problem

Last summer my 73 Spider started eating starter motors. I removed the first failed starter to
find that the tail housing had been broken off. I replaced it with another & in a short time
the bronze bushing got destroyed. I rebuilt my one remaining starter & installed it. It too
ceased functioning. Upon removing it the tail housing had been broken off like the first one.
I removed the engine & found that the ring gear teeth were somewhat chewed up on the high
points; they had been hitting or not meshing with the pinion gear teeth. I had driven it the
previous summer for a lot of miles with no hint of trouble. (yes, the proper shoulder bolt in the
middle starter motor hole is used)
Flywheel starter ring - 130 teeth; pinion gear - 9 teeth
Engine # AR o1500 10648
Starter 451 4 Bosch 0 001 311 110
Vin AR 3041824

Any ideas?
deadmanwalking is offline  
Sponsored Links
Status: Constantly Nagging Lincolnshire Members !
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL
Nige005's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston, Lincs
Posts: 16,083
Images: 22
Hi, you'll get mire response if you Post in here :-

The Classic Alfa Romeos - Alfa Romeo Forum

Good luck.
Nige005 is offline  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

bizarre , problem , starter

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome