Spider Classic Insurance Advice! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 02-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Bristol
Spider Classic Insurance Advice!

Hi Guys, sorry to post another insurance thread, but ill briefly explain my dilemma:

I'm turning 25 in a few weeks time, and am very keen in buying a V6 Spider as a present to myself! However a standard insurance policy is too expensive... (£1300 per year, double the £600 i pay for my twinny currently). I only use it less than once a week, my annual milage is less than 4000 miles. I was looking into classic policies but it seems that you need access to another vehicle, this would be my only car though.

Does anyone know of any insurance companies who would insure me with that as my only car? can i use my parents car as my other vehicle? (even if they live in a different town to me?) does a moped count as 'another vehicle'?

I don't use it for work or anything so it's just for pleasure. Otherwise i way toying with buying another really cheap crap car and using that as my main vehicle, however that would mean another car to tax and mot etc... the combined insurance policies would still be less than the quote on the spider though!!

I don't really know what to do, I really want a V6 spider it just sucks that insurance is the only thing in the way!!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Kent

Member car:

Do a search on classic car insurance recommendations, I'm sure I've posted the same advice at least 3 times now.
AO Member
County: Lancashire
Have you tried a limited mileage policy,as you say to get classic insurance you need it to be your second car and with limited mileage in the process.Good luck with it and dont forget to let us know the outcome..
AO Member
County: East Sussex
I use RH insurance for my 145qv,as said,you need to be driving/have access to another everyday vehicle. My everyday car is my GTA but they have never asked for proof of this. I guess that would come if ever there were a claim?

Give RH a call and see what they can do for you.

Good luck.
Club Member
Membro Medio
County: Oxfordshire
I use RH also - they are pretty helpful on the phone
AO Member
County: Kent
Cripes, the insurance for young drivers is huge, I begrudge the £190 pa I pay for my V6
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 03-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Bristol
Thanks a lot off the advice guys! Sorry I did have a read round lots of other threads before I posted, but I couldn't see anything which answered my question exactly....

Anyway, the good news! I called my current insurance today, which is chris knott on behalf of AROC insurance, and they quoted me only £70 more to switch to a v6 on my policy till September, then it would be roughly 700 after that, which is a damn good deal! I think I'm currently on a 6000 mile limited Milage policy anyways... Thanks for all the advice on classic insurers.... I would definitely recommend AROC club insurance though, they were around £400 cheaper for my twinspark when I switched!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

advice , classic , gtv , insurance , spider