Leaks!!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 18-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
Help Leaks!!!

Dear all,

I am throwing this out there in the hope that your collective wisdom might suggest a possible cause to my GTV's incontinence. For the last couple of months, my car has developed a leak both in the front and the rear.

I tackled the front first, as it is more crucial to sort, since the water is dripping in to the right of the accelerator pedal and passing too close ( or through for all I know ) the fuse box. Thinking that it must be a blocked scuttle, I removed all the trim, to find that there was no muck in there at all and water ran freely out the centre drain. There isn't any rust or even any obvious entry point around the driver's side corner. I then thought that it must be the windscreen, so I applied silicone sealant all around on three occasions. Last weekend, I even taped the sides up completely with insulating tape to try to rule out the seal as a likely cause. Nothing has changed and water is still coming in. Am I missing an obvious potential culprit? The only other thing I can think of is the door rubber, but the water appears to come in from under the dashboard in the corner and too far forward of the door rubbers for that to be a possibility. I don't have a sunroof either.

Onto the rear - water is entering the boot from the corner near the hinge - it is present in the internal structure behind the carpet. I assumed it must be the screen seal too, but that has also had silicone treatment three times and has also been taped up - with no effect. The boot rubber doesn't seem to be hiding any rusty holes, as I have lifted it up to have a look.

The car turns 16 tomorrow and is overdue both a service and a cambelt change, but the months of driving around with damp carpets and steamy windows is making me feel disinclined to be nice to her, which I don't want to feel. Any suggestions welcome. With all this ongoing rain, you can imagine how much fun ownership is at present.

Attaching a couple of pics showing the tape ( really adds to the fine lines ) and the piece of tissue indicates where water is entering in the boot. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6472.jpg (41.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6473.JPG (153.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6475.JPG (175.4 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Edinburgh

Member car:

alfa spider

Front check the scuttle panel under the wipers various thread s on here
Also drainage channels blocked can be a cause
second the boot is the carpeted bit on the boot lid there as the car gets condensation building up I have found that my spider was missing this carpet
thats my starter for 10

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider