My lovely Alfa... now on Death Row due to a radiator - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #26 of 32 Old 09-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Swallow- I've spoken to Alex. Thanks for the steer, it sounds promising.

SeaDart- as soon as I have the car back I'll post some pictures.
Sponsored Links
County: -

Member car:

My 2.0ts 156 has blown two rads in as many weeks. Have you figured out what is causing this? I cant keep throwing money at this car, please help!
AO Silver Member
County: Hertfordshire
Could it have anything thing do do with the water pump?
Club Member
Membro Medio
County: Oxfordshire
I believe all is in hand now with this - Smaky to the rescue.....
Will let the OP reveal all
PS I think I have just donated you a door seal and some aerial parts..
(Post Link) post #30 of 32 Old 22-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Thumbs Up Good news- hopefully!

So hopefully all is fixed!

Swallow's recommended Alex has had the car for a week. He found four problems I think, although I haven't been back to collect yet he sent me a detailed email with pictures. Firstly it seems the latest radiator (#14) fitted had inappropriate screws, these had punctured the front of the rad. I have a nice picture of the water feature that ensued when he pressurised the rad(this one hadn't failed noticeably when I brought the car in). Secondly the previous rad(#13) which I brought from the original garage had failed where some rivets joined the matrix, different brand of rad but seems like a manufacture issue. Thirdly the heater matrix was partially blocked, and finally the fan was mounted without rubber vibration dampers.

The screws issue doesn't need explaining, but I wonder if the final two issues could have caused the poor quality (Chinese) rad #13 to fail. I wish I had all the others to look at. Previous work had all assumed that the engine was at fault- maybe it was but it seems like the poor rads were the issue too.

I'll await getting the car back before I talk to the other garage- but I they must owe me something here. At the very least the final rad they fitted was punctured by the screws they used to mount it. I paid for this work.

Additionally, I never had any trouble with the rad until they changed the original rad when my new engine was fitted two years ago. It wasn't leaking at the time either but they pointed out it was the original from new rad and being 11 years and 100000 miles old probably needed changing while the engine was out. What a mistake that was...

Thanks to all of you and Swallow in particular for his recommendation- especially if you're now donating parts as well! 👍👍
AO Silver Member
County: Hampshire
I think the lesson for all of us is beware of pattern.. non OE parts .. some are great .. but the market is flooded with junk these days.. E Bay is handy but it might not be the bargain it at first seems.

It's hard to believe that a garage would change 13 rads without thinking something was up.

What have you got fitted now ?? Alfa OE or aftermarket?? If so what make ??

I need to change mine soon..An OE rad is about 165 quid..

Last edited by seadart; 22-03-14 at 14:49.
AO Member
County: Oxfordshire
My rad was changed recently( the original was 17 years old!) by Smaky and the advice is OE for sure. I got a great deal from Europarts.
It's just not worth going for a cheap one.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

alfa , death , due , lovely , radiator , row