98 GTV Over heating nightmare! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 28-09-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

98 GTV 3.0

98 GTV Over heating nightmare!

I recently bought a very well kept 98 GTV with 59k on the clock
it is a supurb vehicle but had a wee bit of trouble driving from Belfast to Dublin last week, It started getting very hot and to cut a long story short i payed 150 to get it lifted back to belfast, got it in to the shop and after replacing the radiator and carrying out almost every check possble including to see if the heads were ok, it's come down to he water pump, the standard one has a plastic impleller which can be faulty and weak, the new pumps bought from the ********* web site have a steel impeller for longevity etc.
it's was fine on stand still when the fans kick in etc but under load with a bit of back pressure the impeller was failing and it was over heating straight away, total fee for me including new radiator =/water pump and labour = around 500 quid!! just be warned on these tacky impellers if you car over heats, It's the same in the 2.0 TS and the 166 also a few other models, go for the new water pump with the steel impeller...
Sponsored Links
Re: 98 GTV Over heating nightmare!

cheers for the info dude

Re: 98 GTV Over heating nightmare!

when i got my cam belt gubbins done the chap at interservices in leicester metioned that part being plastic, he said he'd checked it and was fine, but he said he would of changed to metal one if looked dodge. at the time someone on this forum said they didnt have plastic water pump things?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

gtv , heating , nightmare