Burnt Valves - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 27-09-06 Thread Starter
Burnt Valves

I purchased an Alfa Romeo GTV Twin Spark on for 10,000. The vehicle was 3 years old and had done 18,000 miles. After 11 months of careful ownership and a 24,000 miles service by an Alfa dealer, the car suffered total engine failure. The car was taken to an Alfa dealer who found evidence of early wear on number two & number three big end bearings, also the piston skirts are showing signs of early wear, number three cylinder in particular. Upon inspection of the cylinder head they found a burnt out exhaust valve on no.4 chamber. The latter fault being the main issue causing the vehicle to be disabled. There was plenty of engine oil in the engine. When I bought the car, I was informed by a local Alfa dealer to check the oil regularly as they were known to use a lot of oil, so there was no neglect on my part and the oil was topped up as advised. Unfortunately, I was told that the car was beyond repair and I had to have a re-conditioned engine fitted.

Please can you help, is this unusual to happen to a GTV at such low mileage?
Sponsored Links
Re: Burnt Valves

Your other post, with replies is here. Please don't repeat

Closed Thread

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

burnt , valves