Friendly Reminder: Clean your brake system regularly - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 27-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Stockholm
Friendly Reminder: Clean your brake system regularly

Been having some squeaking brake issues for the past few months and finally got round to fixing the issue the other day. Gave the pads and calipers a nice clean with a wire brush and then some fine grit sandpaper and dear god, the amount of crap that came off them was unbelievable. From the front right alone I got almost a dustpan full of filth off let alone the other 3 corners.

So just a friendly reminder to keep your braking system nice and clean and tidy, mine looked like it hadn't been cleaned.....ever. And since cleaning everything up and applying some new anti-squeak goo, I have had no issues and have actually found the braking performance to be marginally better as the pads are obviously moving much more freely with everything being nice and clean and freshly lubricated.

Also a good idea to clean up the anti-vibration plate thing (metal thing between caliper and the caliper mounts) as I found mine to be disgustingly dirty and it came up almost brand new after a good five minutes with the wire brush. I also assume that getting the crap off might make it more effective, or at least be good maintenance anyways

So don't be a chump! Get out there with a wire brush and clean your braking system! Preventative maintenance is key after all and it costs you nothing more than a wire brush and a few hours of your time

2000 Alfa 156 Sportwagon 2.0 TS CF3

2002 Alfa GTV 2.0 TS CF3
1983 Porsche 944
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Somerset
Advice years ago when taking a wire brush to brake parts was to wear a mask. I think this was due to asbestos in the brake dust... But assume the advice is still good because I'm sure brake dust is even now is hazardous to health!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

brake , clean , friendly , regularly , reminder , system