Stiff Stick! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 26-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Buckinghamshire

Member car:

Gtv v6

Stiff Stick!

Afternoon all!

I took my V6 GTV for a spin today for the first time in a few months, one of the things I noticed is the gearstick is really stiff when I try to move it from side to side.

It takes quite a bit of effort to move it between the 1-2, 3-4 and 5-6 positions. It was bad enough that on a short run I selected 1st instead of 3rd on more than one occasion

Where do I start with this one?

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: West Yorkshire
Hi Steve

I had this when I first got the v6. I could select 3 or 6 very well. I turned out to be the linkages or bushes or both at the bottom of the stick.

I didn't know what I was doing so I took it to my local Alfa indie and he fixed it in hour and was good as new. Did cost much to sort.

There are plenty of posts on here that will cover how to sort it yourself but you may have to raise the car.

AO Member
County: West Midlands
Loads of info on here & I had the same issue. CGTV listed a part number for the 2x bushes that control the "left / right" mech. I went for that fix first for about 6... And it worked great:-) not an easy job as you need to get your hand down on the linkage but take your time and it's not hard.
Parts man at Alfa told me that didn't fit the v6 ... He was wrong... But to be fair to him it doesn't show on his parts exploded diagram, the other bit to change on his parts plan looked a lot more complex!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

stick , stiff