How to Guide: Ashtray Repair - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 18-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Glamorgan
How to Guide: Ashtray Repair

Hi All

I've just fixed my ashtray in a 1999 GTV 3.0 6V 24V Should be common across all models I would have thought.
Not sure if the fix already exists within the forum so here it is just in case.

• Screwdriver, Flat
• 3mm Hexagonal Key (Allen)
• Pen Knife
• Nose Pliers
• Superglue (Loctite)
• Epoxy Resin, 2 Part (Araldite)
• Paper Clip

This method assumes the Gear Rack on the Ashtray Cover has snapped off and the Ashtray Cover is not fitted to the Ashtray Housing.

01. Superglue Gear Rack back to Ashtray cover.
02. Superglue snippet(s) of paperclip across the break as shown. Strengthen with Epoxy Resin. Set aside and allow 24 hours cure time. See Photo 1

03. Eject Ashtray as follows:
3.1. Ashtray Cover, fitted. Eject by pushing the Ashtray Cover towards the passenger seat. See Photo 2
3.2. Ashtray Cover, not fitted. Depress Ashtray Ejector Mechanism using flat blade screwdriver.
04. Remove 3mm Hex Skt Hd Screw and Washer from bottom of Ashtray Housing.
05. Lift Ashtray Housing from centre console.
06. Disconnect Led Light.

07. Insert thin bladed penknife between Gear Wheel Housing and Ashtray Housing. See Photo 3
08. From inside the Ashtray Housing push the Gear Wheel Housing outwards whilst prising the Ashtray Housing apart to clear two retaining lugs on the Gear Wheel Housing.

09. Refit Ashtray Cover into Ashtray Housing.
09.1. The repaired LH side of the Ashtray Cover will be weaker than the RH side which will withstand more flexing. Therefore, locate hole in Gear Rack on to LH side spigot first before locating the RH spigot.
10. Connect Spring Clip to rear of Ashtray Cover.
10.1. This is a fiddly procedure and awkward to describe. You may have to work it out yourself.
10.2. Pass a small pair of nose pliers through the Gear Wheel Housing aperture and grip the Spring Clip.
10.3. Pass the Spring Clip across the face of the Gear Rack towards the back of the Ashtray Housing. See Photo 4
10.4. Move the Ashtray Cover to the fully open position and hook the Spring Clip to the back of the Ashtray Cover. See Photo 5
11. Refit the Ashtray into the Ashtray Housing.

12. Position 0. Looking at the Gear Wheel, turn Gear Wheel counter clockwise (CCW) at least one revolution until it stops.
13. Position 1 (PUSH to Close). Turn Gear Wheel clockwise (CW) until it stops.
14. Position 2 (Closed). Turn Gear Wheel CCW until it stops, approx 1 to 2 teeth.
15. Position 3 (PUSH to Open). Turn Gear Wheel CW until it stops, approx 1 to 2 teeth.
16. Position 0. Turn Gear Wheel CCW back to start.

17. Set Gear Wheel to Position 1.
18. Close Ashtray Cover beyond flush until it touches the top of the Ashtray, and hold. Position 1.
19. Refit Gear Wheel Housing ensuring the Gear Wheel meshes correctly with the Gear Rack.
20. Release hold of the Ashtray Cover.
21. Ashtray Cover will return to Closed position. Position 2
22. PUSH Ashtray Cover to Open. Position 3

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gear Rack Repair.jpg (111.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Ashtray Eject Mechanism.jpg (86.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Prise Housing Apart.jpg (52.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Spring Clip Direction.jpg (98.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Spring Clip Hooked.jpg (56.4 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by P3rksy; 18-01-14 at 14:21.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Buenos Aires
Unhappy Some help?

Hi Persky, I never smoke and never used the ashtray on my Spider but to let some small pieces and papers like tickets and things like that. The ashtray ended full of things an I tried to remove the inner receptacle to clean it up. As I found no way to remove only the receptacle I attempted to remove the whole thing as you said in "EJECT ASHTRAY". Unfortunately the gear rack had snapped off when pulling the Ashtray Cover. I know you said "push the ashtray cover towards the passenger seat" but I really can't understand how to push the cover so I pulled from it. You also said "depress ashtray ejector mechanism using flat blade screwdriver" but I can't see the ejector mechanism. Well now the gear rack is broken and the ashtray cover is still there because I don't know how can I eject the inner receptacle first to make house to free the cover from the RH spigot. Once the inner receptacle be removed I will start the full process to fix the gear rack etc. etc. Thanks in advance for all your help and apologize if something looks wrong in my text as I'm foreigner. Fredy
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 29-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Glamorgan
Hi fredyyantorno

It is a long time since I wrote the ashtray guide and I have forgotten myself. I just checked it again on my car and it is a very simple process. You will kick yourself when you finally see how easy it is to do. You should not have to force anything.

If the ashtray cover is still fitted and in the open position (as per photo 2) push the side of the ashtray cover at the top away from you (towards the passenger seat for RHD). The bottom of the ashtray cover will move inwards slightly and depress the ejection mechanism at the bottom of the ashtray housing thus ejecting the ashtray.

From memory, if the ashtray cover is not fitted you should be able to see the ejection mechanism in between the gap where the ashtray cover would be. Depress it inwards towards yourself (away from the passenger seat RHD) with a small flat blade screwdriver.

I hope this helps.

AO Member
County: Buenos Aires
Right drive!!!

You know, in my country the passenger is seated in the right side of the car and the driver sits at the left. That's why!!! Thanks a lot and best regards.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

ashtray , guide , repair