Thud/Clunk from rear nearside of GTV - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 07-09-06 Thread Starter
AO Member
Thud/Clunk from rear nearside of GTV

Currently experiencing a kind of thudding clunk when going round right-hand bends which is more noticable at lower speeds. Reckoned it might be the bushes but recently had car in for belts, tensioners etc etc at McLellan's in Loanhead and Stuart Junior gave a the car a thorough look over and didn't think the bushes were needing done.
It's really starting to annoy the pants off me. Sounds like its coming from fairly high up, under the boot lid near the auto-changer. However everything that I can see in the boot is tight as a drum. If you can imagine the sound the boot lid would make if it were open and was rattling against keeper. That's what it sounds like.

Any help/advice would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa gtv

Re: Thud/Clunk from rear nearside of GTV

Re check bushes there are a lot of them in the rear of a gtv.

Also could be faulty shock and or perished bump stop.
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 2.0 TS

Could it be the aerial? I know it's not likely, but you never know...
AO Platinum Member

Yes.. I'd worry about the sub-frame bushes. When they go you get the subframe rubbing against the chassis.. it wears out the sub-frame at great expense.. Get a second opinion.

It may be something else, hopefully... Take the wheel off and try beating up the mechanism.. it could be play in the shock mount as mike suggests.. or you might see something else.... dodgy bearing, something knocking against the wheel arch liner etc.

Get everything out of the boot and see if that solves it (jack, spare wheel, you name it) and make sure the battery is fastened securely.

If you have the CD changer that side, take out the cassette thing and see if it's that rattling around.

Finally pack a towel under the bootlid, so it's held "tight" on the rubbers.. it may be moving about like you offered.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 1.8l TS

I had exactly the same thing, had it looked at today. Im 100% sure yours is the same! the proflex part number is PFR1-712 (for the bush furthest from the wheel). I asked at my local dealer and I would have to buy the whole arm, but if you look at Proflex you can buy them separately. Im going to order the bushes now.

Get a big screwdriver and try wedge it between the bush and the frame. you will hear the same noise you hear when you go round a corner and hit a bump.

Ian J.
AO Member
County: Perth and Kinross

Member car:

105 Spider S2

Have you gone back to Mclellan's or telephoned them with this latest info'?, you could ask them to at least check the specific bush that Ianj is referrring to (f.o.c after the fact you've just paid them for a dose of work already ).

I would offer to have a gander with you myself but unfortunately I'm working in Singapore (someone has to do it ).

Let us know how you get on in Loanhead as I intend to try then when I am back home in October.

AO Member

andrewa: try checking the battery holder, its the metal brace that holds it in place... hears the same clunking sound in the upper right side of my gtv, turns out it was a loose battery clamp! put some styro in between the gaps and viola, clunking sound gone!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

gtv , nearside , rear , thud or clunk