Spider hood problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 15-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Spider hood problem

The rear locating things don't locate any more. They seem to catch but the first small bump or attempt to drive at over 50mph, both catches release and the rear part of the hood sort of flaps about. This does result in a cold breeze round the back of my neck and it does worry me that this is putting the rest of the hood under some sort of strain.

Are the catches adjustable or is there something else I can do to keep the rear portion of the hood in place.

She's a 1997 model with manual hood.
Sponsored Links
Maybe, they need some lubrication and are not closing properly (may appear that they do). I occasionally spray liquid grease onto mine to keep them operating smoothly & properly. When I first got mine they were very stiff indeed and not operating properly.
AO Member
County: Powys
Easy enough to adjust,but as already mentioned by crazycarb,make sure the catch is moving freely. The two pins on the hood can be moved sideways,by slackening off the two screws on each pin,and the clamshell can be moved backwards and forwards by slackening of the three bolts on each hinge - don't move it too far forward or it will scrub on the doors.
I've found that if i push the rear down into place when the front clips are fastened (ie hood is tight),it will go into place but will pop out over any pothole. Do the back before the front tho ,and it doesn't budge.
AO Member
County: Devon
Same as JRow, I find that clipping the rear of the hood into place before latching the front means it all clicks into place solid and secure. It just doesn't work if doing the front first.
AO Member
County: Santa Cruz de Tenerife
hi,i had the same problem,the pins wear very slightly and are no longer round.slacken the nut behind the pin and rotate it a quarter of a turn so a larger piece catches the bar when you close it.tolerences are quite fine so don't turn the pin too far.
AO Silver Member
County: Hertfordshire
I had a similar problem with one side at the rear popping up. If you look down the hole you can see the two pieces of wire that hold the pin in place. One of mine was bent, so I gently used a screw driver to push it back into place, applied some grease, no more problems of it bouncing up when I go over a bump. Always secure the back section of the hoods before you lock in the front.
(Post Link) post #7 of 8 Old 17-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Thanks for all the good advice.

Securing rear catches first seems to be the answer.
Global Mod Team
County: Suffolk
I have had no problems.

After reading this I will go around and lubricate though.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

hood , problem , spider