Coolant change when replacing thermostat - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 12-01-14 Thread Starter
County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

Help Coolant change when replacing thermostat

Hello all,

I've had my twinspark GTV for 6 months now and the time has come to attempt my first DIY maintenance job, replacing my dodgy thermostat. I've read the user guide on the forum and am confident that my basic mechanical skill can overcome the challenge but I have a couple of questions.

My initial thought was to reuse the coolant that's in the system but as I have no idea how long it's been in there it's probably a good time to flush the system completely and add new coolant. My question is, how do I flush the system? I assume it's easier to do once the thermostat is off but any easy to follow instructions would be great. Secondly, what do you recommend I use as replacement coolant.

Any tips would be great!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Stockholm
My understanding is that when you take the thermostat off you will lose pretty much all your coolant anyway (so have a bucket ready). I would definitely use this time to put some new coolant in it as it nevers hurts to put fresh fluids in. But to flush the system, basically as long as you disconnect a hose or connection underneath the radiator (I'm not sure if the radiators have a pulg on the bottom for this purpose?) then you will be able to flush the entire system afaik.

Just make sure to rinse the system with fresh water before putting in the new coolant. In regards to the water; distilled/demineralised would be ideal but clean, sediment free tap water should be fine to use to flush it.

Regarding the best combination, can't really help you there as we don't have to worry so much about using things like anti-freeze here so best to wait for another UK/Euro member to chime in :P

2000 Alfa 156 Sportwagon 2.0 TS CF3

2002 Alfa GTV 2.0 TS CF3
1983 Porsche 944
AO Member
County: Lancashire

Member car:

'98 Spider

Fabster72, with the thermostat off, also take off the lower hose on the radiator! This will let all the water out. I would put water in where the thermostat was, I left my hose on a about ten minutes and watched the rubbish come out.

However, mines ts not the v6. Sure it can't be too different but I'm sure someone with better knowledge of the v6 will be along soon to confirm/correct.

As for antifreeze, I went for the pink OAT stuff to save changing every two years, believe either is fine at 50/50 mix but don't mix the two different types.

AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands
having done the job........................... there is likely to be a third of the coolant left in the block and other inaccessible areas, i used NEAT coolant to use as a top up so i knew it was going to be a healthy strength

doubt you can actually empty the coolant completely with engine in the car
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 13-01-14 Thread Starter
County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

thanks for the tips so far guys, much appreciated. I'll follow your tip bradpit and use neat coolant to top up.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

change , coolant , replacing , thermostat