Handbrake and MOT's - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 01-09-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 2.0 TS

Handbrake and MOT's

Just got my 2.0 GTV back from the garage who failed it on lower rear suspension and Handbrake pressure (only reached 25%) which is never good.

anyway, fixed the suspension and replaced new rear brake discs and pads. as far as i can see the handbrake works on the same setup (no independant internal disks).

So my query is - firstly how do i go about tightning up the cable (where is it located), and secondly is the only answer to replace the cables??

thanks, any advice most welcome,
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 2.0 TS

Re: Handbrake and MOT's

If you remove the gaiter around the handbrake (might only need to undo the press-stud and peel it back) you'll see a long hexagonal bolt - turning that tightens the cable.
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey

I've been told by a reliable indie that the trick is to wind piston back, insert new pads (already done for you), slacken adjustment at caliper end right off (both sides), operate foot pedal many times and then adjust at the caliper end. Quite possibly then adjust cable at handbrake lever end.

That's one way...the other is to ensure that thwe pistons are only just clear of the discs with pads fitted.....then adjust handbrake.

benjid...strip the calipers down, make sure everything in reasonalbly free and ensure the cable is pulling smoothly. I did this and my V6 pulled itself out the rollers on the rear calipers

AO Platinum Member

I would concur. The duff reading is more likely weak calipers than a badly adjusted handbrake.

Normally with the self-adjusting handbrake mechanisms the technique is to wind the pistons back just enough so that the new pads fit over the disk (they're thicker than the old ones). Then pump the brakes, then adjust the handbrake.

If that doesn't sort it, then you're looking at a caliper strip-down.

If your calipers are weak your rear disks will be slightly grubby, or the outer 1cm will be darker than the rest of the disk (especially the inside face). Compare them to the front ones, which are probably gleaming all over, both sides.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

handbrake , mot