Whats gone wrong with your gtv this week? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Member
County: Staffordshire

Member car:

'99 GTV v6

Originally Posted by driver33p4 View Post
Standard Alfa gearbox linkage top hat bushes problem. I have had to carry out this repair to my last five Alfas and there is a lot of "guides" on the forum. Easy job, especially on a GTV.

This post probably covers everything (apart from being able to omit having to remove the battery tray as yours is in the boot)

Thanks a bunch for this. Now I just need good weather to get the work done...
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Nothing wrong, went out last weekend. Car looks to be garage bound this weekend, rain rain and er more rain.
AO Member
County: New South Wales

Member car:

My GTV (V6) has a new radiator, thermostat, coolant & tank, water pump etc which was done recently over the winter (6 months ago). All the coolant hoses were fine. Recently re-gassed the A/C.

Now that it's warmer (I'm in Oztralia) I've noticed my high speed cooling fans are coming on more than I think they should be & that the engine temp sits on 90 or just a bit over when stopped in traffic (that's when the fans are on). Mechanic also observed this, checked with the scan to see true engine temp (it's a touch over but steady & high speed fans cool it down when stationary).

I have observed with the A/conditioner on the engine temp sits at about 80 - not sure if this is proper?

I think my car is a little slow to warm up but I could be a little paranoid about this & since replacing the thermostat the engine temp once warm is very consistent (instead of up and down depending on my driving speed). Funnily enough I can hear the high speed fan coming on shortly after starting the car but well before he engine has warmed up, and before the engine temp needle has moved far off it's resting position.

I'm not a mechanic - in real life or on tv. But, it seems to me I may have some issues with the low speed - high speed switch (? - mechanic said he checked this) or issues with the low speed relay. The high speed fan definitely works (I can hear it often). Not sure about my low speed fans.

A few days ago in very hot weather (39 degree's) I restarted the car after it had been stopped for a few minutes. It was blisteringly hot outside. I checked all the engine temps & no lights so all seemed fine but when revving it was making a very tractor like noise that seemed separate to the engine but that became louder as the revs rise or and abate when the revs drop .. like a cheap compressor, or an air cooled boxer engine not firing on all cylinders. I didn't raise the revs as it sounded bad and kept it at or under 2500rpm. The noise seemed to come from straight in front of me, to my right ... where the cam cover is (whilst driving, I didn't lift the hood to see) - I could be paranoid but I was thinking "has the water pump gone" after 6 months (4,000km's)? Again, no lights, temp needle seemed fine but the noise was unmistakenly something unusual and unmissable - I have a fine ear for unusual noises up front (as I think most Alfa owners do).

We were 200km's from home and had to stop for an hour or so whilst visiting friends. Upon restarting the car the loud noise had disappeared. We did drive slowly over some rough roads & up a steep driveway where the exhaust scraped a little bit prior to stopping. Checked the engine, around the cam cover, all hoses everything looked fine. Engine revved freely, plenty of power, full A/C all the way home, no drama's. Also driven the car yesterday and today and again it all seems fine.

Not sure what the mystery noise was but I wasn't imagining things - it was loud, not right. My mech's are on vacation till next week. I don't even know where the relays for the fans are but I can look through the manuals and check things out. Maybe I've read wrong but can excessively hot days play foul with the catylic convertors or exhaust manifolds? Again, like I said I'm no mechanic ops: :?: Is it perhaps the water pump - engine's a little slow to warm, runs slightly hotter than it should? The new coolant expansion tank has started yellowing a little. Coolant colour is good. These are all new 6 months, a few thousand km's ago.

Everything else is good and well maintained. Car is running strong, no issues. It's what you guys in the UK would call a phase 2 and was built in 2001 (we lag behind a little downunder.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC318665.jpg (84.7 KB, 7 views)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

gtv , week , wrong