My next alfa project - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 21-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hampshire
My next alfa project

HI guys, i ve use this forum for my 156 project which never happened as i had to actually use the car, so instead i have got hold of a 1999 GTV 2.0 ts, red leather to play with instead.

I need some help where to start though. I drove her back from the previous owner who has no service history for her (is there a way of finding out any information on the history of the car?)

Ive also come across different variants, after a quick flick through i think iam right in saying that this is a phase 2? But i also noticed in my search a reference to 1999-2000 being plagued with a half and half bad or good cards, is there any way of identifying the bad one by vin or reg?

After her drive home the engine sounded nice and nothing but squeaky brakes (but witht the rust on the discs iam not surprised)

So far i have a quick plan of;

a quick service, filters and oil
new front and rear discs and pads
new gear knob as it was missing? (no idea)

After other cosmetic touch ups and re-badging, as the heaven before de-badged the poor girl!
Is there any strong recommendations or caution areas i should look at sooner then later.

Bearing in mind that i plan to lower it by 20mm all around and add new shocks while i am there.

Any info, advice would be greatly appreciated!

Also i planned to add extra lighting to her so if any one has had any experience with this i would be grateful.

Running lights (on the front bumper)
Led repeaters on the side
Xenon headlamp upgrade
Interior led lighting, under seats (ideally to run along with the interior lights i.e. open door and will illuminate.)

If any one has any customised GTV's would love to see some pics
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Somerset

Member car:

gvt 2.0 t s

With regards to lowering i wouldnt bother as the ts gtv is a great handling car as is, also LED running lights are a bit naff unless on newer cars some decent LED sidelight bulbs would be ideal along With decent headlight bulbs as the projectorheadlights on the gtv are rubbish...
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 21-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hampshire
i would agree that alot of after market running lights are horrendous but i have seen some cars pul them off nicely. I might get a cheap set to see if they would look good anywhere and then can abadon if they deface her to much, i was looking at putting them at the bottom of the bumper.

Also my thought on lowering was mainly that it was easier to find lowered spring sets then regular ones, had to source front and rear individually with little info on ride hieght. JUst trying to hedge my bets.

Also if anyone know s of a place sourcing parts (not ebay or scarppys, got them covered!)

Cheers guys
AO Silver Member
County: Kent

Member car:

If you plan to use the car for "fun driving" go for the lowered spring. A lowered gtv ts is lots of fun !

As for starting work on the old girl (my advice without any service history)
new belts with the service.
New big end shells (you must know about TS engine?)
Then look to poly bush the rear suspension. Spring pans and dog legs.
Once you have done that move onto brakes.
Then the good stuff, exhaust, head work. Where do you stop?

The Spider in the picture is my car and lowered by 20mm (just to give you an idea)

Good luck with it !!

Last edited by 00Alfa Andy; 12-03-14 at 15:28.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

alfa , project