GTV Electrical problems - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 30-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
GTV Electrical problems

So my GTV has been off the road (and untouched) for a year.
Before I took it for it's MOT, I thought I would have a quick check over the car...
Apart from the brake discs/pads needing changing, she did ok on the MOT but I noticed a couple of electrical problems...

Basically, the heater blower isn't working. The temperature is ok, but the air only comes out at the speed you are travelling.
I am going to look into the fuses/relay tomorrow, but what worries me is that when you turn the fan on (in the dark with the lights on), ALL of the lights momentarily die. Both the outside lights...AND the dash lights all go out for a split second, then come back on.
So, this leads me to believe that it isn't a fuse/relay problem at all....
Any advice??

Started off with a 156
Then got the GTV
Now it's on with the BlackLine GT!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Hampshire
that's interesting .. maybe the fan motor armature is just seized. and at the moment you switch the fan on the electrical system is seeing a dead short.. until heat builds up in the armature coils and the resistance increases.. not long enough to blow a fuse though.. blimey..

I'd still check the fuse first..
then check if the fan is free to turn .. I think I remember that you can see it down through the scuttle if you take the plastic covers off..

Last edited by seadart; 30-11-13 at 14:32.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 03-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
I cheked the fuse, all ok. I removed the "rain cover" under the bonnet (it desperately needed re-sealing anyway after the previous owner's disasterous attempt) and was unable to turn the fan at all.
Bearing in mind my fotwell is still sopping wet, I assumed it had rusted and siezed. I removed it anyway, gave it a couple of knocks and freed it up... She's working again now!
So it's all back together and the rain cover is sealed properly now!

While I was in there, I looked into the reason the rear demister isn't working.... But that's a whole other story!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

blower , electrical , fan , gtv , lights , problems