Any ideas how to get the air filter off? plz - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Any ideas how to get the air filter off? plz

all the nuts and screws have just rusted and seized beyond use ,and will not give any ideas
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
Fairly common, I'm afraid. All you can do is remove the entire assembly and then drill / grind off the old fixings, and the usual fix is then to araldite (other glues are available) replacement captive bolts / nuts.
Do u think I should just leave alone as i was gonna fit a nice chrome and blue air filter to match the car?
County: Lubuskie

Member car:

Hello Leroy

i have same problen with 156 airbox. The easiest way to fix it, and make it more easy to change air filter in future is moddification from this link:
FORUM Alfa Romeo Club Polska - klub fanw Alfy Romeo :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: forum, wymiana informacji midzy uytkownikami, zlo

this DIY is in polish language, but i think photos make this clear
AO Member
County: Somerset
Anyone point me in the direction of someone online that sells those screws with the thread for a nut on the end? Mine is the same as many others and I just can not get it off, so a refurb of the box beckons...
AO Silver Member
County: Bedfordshire
The way I did this ( very easy and keeps it standard ) -

1. Remove the airbox lid allowing the brass inserts to come out with the bolts.
2. Remove MAF etc.
3. Drop the lid in a strong solution of citric acid. Leave for a couple of days agitating as often as you can.
4. Remove lid from citric acid and rinse under a tap.
5. You can now easily remove the brass insert off the corroded screw.
6. Put the brass inserts back in the filter housing body ( with a little superglue or similar to lock them in place ).
7. After reassembly, re-fix the lid to the box with ideally brass screws or, if not, stainless steel*. DO NOT USE ZINC PLATED SCREWS.

The only problem is getting citric acid. You used to be able to get it in pharmacies but you're likely to be viewed with suspicion these days ( citric acid is used in illegal drugs ). As an alternative, Coca Cola or Lemonade should work but may take longer.

* Stainless steel is quite close to brass on the anodic scale so there should be very little corrosion between the two metals.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

air , filter , ideas , plz