Rough, underpowered GTV Engine - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 14-06-06 Thread Starter
AO Member
Rough, underpowered GTV Engine

Hi Guys,

I boght the GTV recently with an engine defect.
The car is seriously underpowered with my 1.8 156 sportwagon being able to kick it's ass off the lights. That shouldn't be.

There is a clattering and roughness at idle which continues all the way up to about 4000 rpm then the engine sounds rough all the rest of the way up the rev range. I don't think it is the Variator, although I could be wrong. I know what a bad variator sounds like as my sportwagon's is begining to go (for the first two seconds every cold start). I thought it was the bottom end bearing when I bought it and I was prepared to put in a different engine but 2.0 tspark engines are like hens' teeth and despite all the problems the car has continued to run and maintains high oil pressure. ????? A rebulid is almost definitely on the cards but I'd like to have some idea what to look for. Someone told me it could simply be a timing issue but I doubt that. There was also serious oil leakage on top of the plugs and around the head too. Is this engine screwed? Suggestions please.

Oh yeah, What's required regarding the replacement of my 156's offending variator??? (inc price.) by the way, I'm in the republic of Ireland.

I was also wondering if anyone could suggest a good ecu interface plug and software for my laptop. Is it possible that I could get one that can save the ECU prog altogeather and upload new remaps and parameters? I was thinking about something a bit better than the 40 stg jobs which could also be used on other cars such as Citroens.

I don't ask for much do I??
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
Re: Rough, underpowered GTV Engine

Just wondering how you know thwe oil pressure is good? It sounds to me as if at some point in its life it might have been run low on oil. If I were you I wouldn't worry too much about what the problem is if you're going to rebuild it anyway.
AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

156 GTA

Re: Rough, underpowered GTV Engine

Certainly sounds like you have a problem, the power to weight of the 1.8 156 and the 2.0L GTV aren't hugely different so I wouldn't expect a huge difference,
The GTV should be faster though.

Originally Posted by bkbl
The car is seriously underpowered with my 1.8 156 sportwagon being able to kick it's ass off the lights. That shouldn't be.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

engine , gtv , rough , underpowered