Spider Advice - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 13-06-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

Spider Advice

I bought a 2001 Spider last month and back off to the Alfa dealership I bought from next week to get it sorted. Just need a bit of advice before I go and say anything blonde - main problem is the roof, the sides don't meet the body - will this involve a new roof? (Already had my nearest dealership look at it and they don't know what's wrong or how to fix). Second prob, when they had it in for the day they gave me a 156 2.0 JTS and it had so much more kick to it, mine feels really sluggish in comparison. Last of all, someone is selling wind deflectors for the Spider on Ebay but they are clip on - only ever seen ones involving drilling. Any good? Any input appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Re: Spider Advice

The hood may simply need realigning...it's hrad to imagine exactly what you mean. They are complex looking things so a bit of experience may be necessary!

2.0 JTS will have more kick, more powerful engine and possibly lighter although I don't know their respective weights. Spiders generally habve lots of girders underneath to prevent scuttle shake...(fails though!).

No idea about wind deflectors, sorry

AO Member

Member car:

Spider 2.0TS

No idea about the hood.

But i bought my spider about 3 months ago and it felt quite sluggish when i got it it too. I have red-exed it and driven how i drive and in the last 3 weeks it has suddenly found a bit more power from somewhere. I recon the previouse owner didn't use the engine to its full potential and i am just loosening it up now. So that might sort its self out but some engine cleaner of some sort is probably not a bad idea.

I don't know anything about the wind deflectors either sorry

Quickness Its A State of Mindô
AO Member

Do you mind take some photo, and let us have a look , where is your spider problem! Don't understand " the side don't meet the body" ??
AO Platinum Member

I hate to get you worried, but did you get the car HPI'd before you bought it. If the cars been involved in a big accident, or if its a cut and shut, it can casue the symptoms you're describing. Obviously though, if you bought the car from a dealer they should have checked that out, so it's unlikely to be the case.
AO Member

With the engine you can have the garage re-set the EMS to it's factory standard, I read somewhere that the EMS will "learn" to your driving style and give you a little more oomph in different area's of the rev range (not sure how plausable that is). What is more likely was what was mentioned earlier that you're loosening up the engine!

With the wind deflectors, there are two types. The one's which you drill in - it drills into the flat section next to the cubby hole behind the seats and that plastic strip just infront of it. The clip on one only works if you have the roadster hoops as it clips on to the top of them.

From what I've seen at Alfa days, the guys with the screwed in one look better - I've never been a fan of the roadster hoops on the spider, imo I think they should be reserved for someone who wants a TT.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

advice , spider