GTV bonnet issues AGAIN!!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 28-10-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Brittany

Member car:

Alfa 147 mjet

Help GTV bonnet issues AGAIN!!!

Hi folks, 3.0L GTV 1997. Bonnet release not releasing. Have seen other threads on this but either I am pretty dim or you all have other varients to me. The release inside the car has no tension on it. Have released the cable from the pull release and tried plyers and pulled like hell and no release. Had ANO pushing bonnet down still no release. Called Autolusso to be told that the emergency cable release was the same as the cable release!!! So no further forward.

Can't get at it from underneath as the rad is in the way plus all the underneath trim. (well I certainly can't see how underneath is the way in to the cable which i cant see in any case)

Long story as to why but have the drivers side headlight removed so access via that is possible but again rad is in the way and arm not long enough anyway.

I can't believe that its not possible to pop a bonnet in some way without a huge crowbar ripping the bonnet off. but as it sits, its no bloody good at all as i can't lift the bonnet to do much needed work. Any sensible suggestions most welcome. Thanks - John

Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes, the ones who see things differently, they're not fond of rules.You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things, they push the human race forward and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Dorset
Pull the lever as far as you can and then push it back in again. Repeat this a few times and it might just release to the secondary position. If you have someone with you then get them to put their fingers under the front lip and try to raise while you pull the release lever.
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 401
County: Mid Glamorgan
I have to pull my lever so far it goes under the dash. Maybe pull it harder?
AO Platinum Member
No.. it sounds like the cable outer isn't being held in position, so pulling the lever is only shortening the cable not pulling on the latch. I have no idea how the bonnet can be released without the cable... probably a case of dismantling from the bottom... but I'd get a new cable in anticipation of needing a new one.

Ralf S.
Global Mod Team
County: Suffolk
There is a solution but it is a bit fiddly.

There is a cable which connects the two catches beneath the holes where the two bonnet "pegs" enter. This is the cable you adjust when the release cable stretches (as your's appears to have done).

You can see it in the two photos - right at the top with a small bellows at each end.

What you need is a straightened wire coat hanger or similar but keep the "hook" on the top. You then feed this up from the bottom of the car - best place is a bit to the nearside of the centre line avoiding the exhaust. Once fed up you hook the cable and pull down. It took me a few attempts and this was in the GTV (2.0) where there is more room - but it works.

I took the photos of the Spider (3.0) and there does seem to be enough space but it will need some patience. Try different "feed" points.

Good luck.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0433.jpg (179.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0432.jpg (174.6 KB, 15 views)

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

bonnet , gtv , issues