GTV 3.0 Advice - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 01-05-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

GTV 3.0 Advice

I'm looking at getting a GTV or Spider for around the 5k mark. The one that im looking at - silver one on autotrader for 5250 - needs a few things doing.

The cambelt change needs doing at 60k along with a service and also has a cracked foglight. Im from the world of elise, so know how expensive these things are.

Anyone know how much ballpark this lot would cost and where the best place to go is .

Also mpg on the 3.0 is worrying me a little. Are they really that aweful. I can put up with 25 but under 20 is taking the **** a little.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: -
Re: GTV 3.0 Advice

Hi Jon,

Welcome to AO.

I wouldn't buy a GTV on price, but on condition! If you buy on price alone, you'll end up paying a fortune for parts etc etc. 5250 is pretty low for a 3.0 24v. The cambelt/balancer/tensioner etc change on the 24v can be around +300-ish. USe the forum search facility to look for prices.

Good luck hunting!
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 3.0 GTV

If you do a reasonable mileage on motorways etc, you should be able to get 30 to the gallon, in reality you will not as you will have to boot it everywhere. 25 more realistic.

Around town, tis not good. - lets not go there.

Summary - you dont do many miles, buy the 3.0, you will not regret it, do highish miles - Buy a diesel!

Personally - I would buy it anyway irrrespective of MPG, as it makes you feel good and the noise it makes is worthy of inferior MPG IMHO. ( even if the brakes do squeel!!)

Had mine 18 months now and it is very addictive but then i only really drive it at w/es.
AO Platinum Member

Does this mean you're getting rid of the Elise? If you are, then I'd be tempted to go for the 3.0 (or 3.2), as I'm sure you'll miss the performance otherwise. However, if you're keeping the Elise, but want a more practical/comfortable car for long journeys then either get the 2.0 GTV/Spider or maybe a diesel GT (for very high mileage). That way you can still go out in the Elise when you want a blast, but have a stylish, moderately fast, economical and comfortable car for everyday use.
AO Member

Member car:

gtv v6 3.0 24v

Madness Re: GTV 3.0 Advice

Hi, just need to say thats a very sensible answer,BUT WHERE`S THE ALFA PASSION!
AO Platinum Member

Originally Posted by maccaplumbs
Hi, just need to say thats a very sensible answer,BUT WHERE`S THE ALFA PASSION!
Well, the passion is intergral to any Alfa be it 2.0 or 3.0 (or Lotus for that matter)
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire

I always found my 3 litre GTV fuel consumption differed little to my 2 litre TS most of the time, as due to the torque you have less need to thrash it. The 3 litre is also much better on fuel than a 2.5 V6 for the same reason in the real world.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

advice , gtv