want a gtv - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 04-04-06 Thread Starter
AO Member
want a gtv

im looking at buying a gtv a 2 litre, prefferably a lusso, but not to sure what sort of things to look out for, so i can pay the right price for the right car. plus any common probs i should avoid really that sort of thing.
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
Re: want a gtv

Definitely buy a lusso (the aircon stops the car from misting up when its raining, and the insides look odd without the leather seats). The biggest problem is making sure the engine hasn't been run dry of oil, and also the rear suspension arm/bushes can be a problem. Also check that the electrics work.
AO Silver Member
County: -

I'm just trading mine in so no axe to grind,

Check the panel gaps and paint matches they are B**$£rs to get right after a prang, I should know. The obvious advice is full Alfa history, check that all the belts have been changed around the £45,000 mile mark no later. Its not so much the main belt but a small er belt, which I have heard can come off and foul the main belt causing severe damage I've heard some horror stories re the 2.0L and really looked after mine. Ensure the electrics work properly, particularly the windows as it is a frameless door and the seals are sometimes poor. The engines are bullet proof but check the oil for 'cream' on the cap. The rear bushes are prone to wear and need to be looked ar carefully as neglect can result in more serious promlems. Oh, and they eat brakes (but that's probably just me). Otherwise they are sex on a stick and I have loved every second of mine.

Hope that helps I'm afraid I'm no expert its just my experience of ownership.

Der Teufel
Nate per vincere
AO Member

The obvious advice is full Alfa history, check that all the belts have been changed around the £45,000 mile mark no later
dead right about the belts and don't let someone tell you any different. i have seen cars with 60k+ on the clock and the belt not yet done. you could haggle the price down on that basis but what if they went on the way home

if the belts aren't done get it booked asap. i did and i can sleep at night now

if the car has been looked after though then this shouldn't be an issue
AO Member

I am going to be selling my 1996 "P" reg GTV lusso shortly which I have owned since 2004.

Red, Black leather, 74500 with service history, private plate - P4 GTV

Alfa Romeo fitted recon engine and clutch at 69500 miles in Jan 2005. The last owner apparantly had the belts done at 57000 miles but who knows but the engine went bang on me on Christmas Eve 2004.

Also in my wisdom bought the car without a masterkey - being told the red valet key was it didnt help.So I have had Alfa Romeo recon ECU, key block and new lock set fitted in Jan 2006 so nice new keys and masterkey present.

I have fitted ********* grooved and crossdrilled brake dics and new pads all round.

The only thing to get a full MOT is the handbrake thanks to a seized rear caliper which I am sorting out now.

Apart from all this I have loved the car at weekends and will miss it when its gone.

I will be selling it with the plate for around £4000 which is less than I have spent in parts in the last two years. I have found this site to be great for help and information but unfortunately bought the car before I found it. Im sure if you follow the advice and info posted here youll get one thats good. I think the cars are built very well to be honest and put my problems down to a dodgy dealer.
AO Member
County: -

Wayne your price is spot on - I've just sold my 1996 GTV with 88,000 miles on for 4k, but kept the plate (C20 GTV) to sell separately. Good luck with selling it, if I had the money I'd buy it as I'm missing mine already....
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 07-04-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

do you know thats spot on to the answer i was looking for. well at least i know what i shouldn't buy and what i should for the right price. i just cant wait to get one now they look so good on auto-trader, but i still gotta wait a little while shame. but thanks for all the help hope to see you in here with mine soon

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider