Another Power Hood Problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 03-04-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Bedfordshire
Help Another Power Hood Problem

Any help out there? Power hood!

Cannot get the rear metal cover over the Spider hood comparment to release. (Powered or manual override)

The hood is currently up and when selected to power down, the hood rears screen section motors up ok, but the rear metal cover to the hood storage compartment does not release to open. Then get usual flashing red light on central console. Usually with a power hood problem, I then resort to manual operation, manual cycle/reset, etc. however:
The metal cover manual release switch (located behind seat) now does not release the latches for the cover, no click or anything. (The spigot release switch does work)
Tried looking in the corners of the boot for the lanyards/loop cords to pull and manually release the cover latches, but only found one.

I did change the battery a month or so back, so rechecked in the rear battery compartment that I had not disturbed the switch wiring. still no joy.

As unable to open hood rear storage compartment cannot get in to checkout the hood system. Any magic tricks to open the lid?

Almost seems no power getting to the latch solenoids from auto powering or manual switch. (Fuse?)

Handbook is very limited on hood electrics info.

Does anyone have an electrical hood circuit for a 1998 Spider 2L?
I cannot find where the appropriate hood fuses are located. Any help or suggestions in this area?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Dublin
Re: Another Power Hood Problem

Hi,
I frequently have this problem on my spider. What I do is remove the inner lining of the rear compartment to gain access to the motor which releases the cover latches. (The motor with 2 cables attached) With the ignition on and the override button depressed I lightly tap the outer cover of the motor and it usually releases the cover. I know this is not ideal but it works.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 08-04-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Bedfordshire
Re: Another Power Hood Problem

Alfa1,
Tried lightly tapping the motor as you suggested but still no joy. Checked power supply via switch & then to motor inline connector, all okay. Continuity across the motor all okay, but still movement. Just about to give up for the afternoon, and gave the motor a good hard knock and it suddernly actuated. Excercised it a number of times and now the hood is fully working both power and manual over-ride.
- When I previously phoned the Alfa Agent they had quoted about £60 for an initial 1/2hr diagnosis only to start to look for the problem, and then would probally have changed the motor at an "arm & leg" cost.
Thanks for the tip Alfa1 it certainly worked.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
hood , power , problem