Coughing gurgling V6 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 09-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lancashire

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

Coughing gurgling V6

Car has been standing for about a year, and has been at the garage where it has been given a new cam belt, new spark plugs, new thermostat and new gearbox oil.I picked it up this morning and drove it to the MOT (pass).

On the motorway after getting up to speed I realised I didn't have all the power, but then as quick as it left it came back (MAF was my first thought)

Later today I was out in the middle of nowhere and though that she had to get to stretch her legs properly after being standing for so long. Put her in first and floor it! As soon as the engine hit 5500rpm it started gurgling and twitching like mad! no power, wouldn't rev above 3000 and was extremely irratic. I coasted in a higher gear for about a km looking for a good place to stop but then *poff* everything was back to normal again! as if nothing had happened! btw the temp never went up and no warning lights came on. So what could the problem be? fuel pump? Blocked injector?

I am driving the car from Sweden to the UK tomorrow (2200km) and have already been delayed once, the drive has to be done and guess it'll have to be safe driving below 3-4k rpm, but would really like to be prepared for what to fix, might even be able to get some parts in Germany on the way
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1265
County: Waikato

Member car:

Gtv V6

I'd like to think it might be water in the fuel (condensation from sitting) - perhaps try a fuel stabiliser treatment?

That, or a poor connection to an injector, are the things I can think of that could come and go. Maybe unplug/re plug all the injectors.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

coughing , gurgling