Spider steering rack loose? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 05-01-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

1996 spider

Thumbs Up Spider steering rack loose? - fixed it

Hi can any one help me? I have a 1996 Spider which has developed a clonk from the steering this originally appeared only on reverse turning onto my drive. The car failed its MOT yesterday with the failure described as “loose steering rack” the noise can vary from completely disappearing all together to then returning on forward turning too, although this is more of a creaking type noise!

I looked through the road wheel with a torch and had my friend move the steering wheel, following the rack arm you can see the rubber gator jumping forward as the steering is turned.

The strange thing is the car drives fine and there is no pulling to one side or apparent steering play. Has anyone experienced this problem with there spider.
Other info the car is in mint condition with only 50,000 original miles.

Last edited by jextra; 06-01-06 at 23:32.
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #2 of 4 Old 06-01-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

1996 spider

Re: Spider steering rack loose?

Hi, don't seem to have had much of a response on this one but here's my update, thought I would share it as I have found this site to be excellent i.e. the brilliant DIY guide posted on timing belt and variator change which saved me ££££££

I usually do all repairs myself but on this one I was a little unsure as my car is to low to get onto ramps and I couldnt really see what was going on I decided to get a free view of the underside by having quickfit (who I had no intention of using) to put it on the ramp and quote for the exhaust which also failed the MOT (fools £595 ha). Anyway it appeared that the steering rack was loose but you cant actually see the mounting bolts as it is covered by the front subframe, ohh.

Unsure about removing bolts from the subframe, my mate put me in touch with a very prof one man band back street garage who put it up on a ramp and dropped the front sub frame to expose the rack mountings which to his surprise had one bolt missing with the other barely hanging on. Phew ive been tearing along with my steering like this!

It's all tight now and although and the guy only charged me £20 to fix it. As i said in my prevoius post "amazing" but it had not really appeared to have efected the steering but I must admit my little spider now handles a lot better. The car has past the MOT now, amazing that the dealer told me that the racks never come loose and it would prob need rack replacing at £400+.
AO Member

glad to hear that you have solved the problem. some items on these cars are really hard to get to, on the 2L model that subframe has got to be removed to get the alternator out!
Global Mod Team
County: Suffolk

Just goes to show that MOT tests really can be useful.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

loose , rack , spider , steering