Flashing light after hood closed - ECU reading - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 11-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Swansea

Member car:

1999 2.0 Spider

Flashing light after hood closed - ECU reading

I have recently had a broken hood spar welded allowing me to use the powered hood for the first time in two years. (I was leaving it till I fixed my idling problem - no point in polishing a turd I thought)
It opens 100% fine. It closes all the way under power except:
  • The driver side 5th arc lock pin does not enter the hole enough to engage the worm gear un-assited. If I push it in during closure it then clamps down OK.
  • After closing all the way (assuming I have assisted it) the red light begins to flash no matter how long hood button is held. If Ignition is turned off at this point, I can hear the hydraulics 'relaxing' so it has obviously been maintaining pressure, presumably waiting to see input from one of the 'in place' switches.
I think (from the book) the flashing indicates a fault has been stored - how do I read these codes please? I have MultiScan (full 50 version) - but I don't recall seeing hood diags in there?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Gwynedd

Member car:

The only software that can read the hood ECU is AlfaOBD, I think you also need a modified lead to connect to it.

Not sure whether it is just a different pin In the OBD connector you need to connect to or connection T13 which is the diag connector for the hood.

Afraid I cant help you out much more being a GTV owner.
AO Member
County: Essex

Member car:

I recently had a similar problem with the passenger side lock pin not engaging. I cured it by adjusting the cable. Passenger side there is a cable under the clam shell with adjustable tension thingy (white plastic). Just popped the adjuster out of the bracket and moved it to the next slot (towards end of cable) and it worked perfectly.
AO Member
County: KwaZulu-Natal
Have a look at the length of the hood pins. Should be about 55mm from base (with the cover peeled back) to pin tip. It sounds like the pins are too short to activate the microswitches in the clamshell. It's a 16mm nut by the way. Had the same issue, now fixed.
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1265
County: Waikato

Member car:

Gtv V6

Recent versions of MultiECUScan can now communicate with the hood ECU, but you'll probably need a 3-pin adapter cable (dig around in the cubbyhole under the carpet to see if there's a plug). Reputedly, it's connected to the 16-pin OBD connector on later Spiders but I haven't had any success with that yet (even though I made a special adaptor to mimic the purple adaptor you can buy from Gendan).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

closed , ecu , flashing , hood , light , reading