Hampshire to Scotland - via Silverstone - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 03-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

gtv ts lusso

Hampshire to Scotland - via Silverstone

Just back after a week on 1400 mile trip from Hampshire to the Highlands and back - via the Silverstone Classic.

Set off on Sunday 28th to Silverstone. The classic meeting is excellent if you like old racing cars - the racing is good. However, the fact that you can get so close to the cars is the main attraction. You can walk around the pitt area among stuff from 50's GP cars to 80's Touring Cars - including three Alfa 156's this year. The Group C sportscars are the highlight for me. Some of this was somewhat lost on my 15 year old daughter, however she did admit to liking the noise - I was happy to hear that.

The trip round the Highlands was great, some entertaining driving. We found the A814 from Garelochhead to Arrochar highly amusing - little more than a single track, at no point neither flat or straight.

The A82 is excellent if you get an empty bit. We found the road used in Skyfall (just off the A82) which is a single track of bendy and sometimes rough tarmac in Glen Coe, the scenery is spectacular.

We stopped off at Edinburgh (is there anywhere to park? No!)- the festival had just started. We got to see Tom Binns as Hospital DJ -Ivan Brackenbury, this was very funny.

On the way back down south we took the A68, super bit of road. According to the signs its rather dangerous.

The GTV and the daughter both behaved without fault for the whole journey - except for...

Having got to Sheffield on the way up I was keen to lift the bonnet the check all was well. Ping! The drivers side bonnet hinge pin sheared. I did manage to check the oil then fight the thing closed. Travelling the following 1200 miles without being able to check fluids was a pain. I didn't want to try and lift it again many miles from home in case it all went pear shaped. Now I am back how do I get the old pin out without lifting the bonnet?

My conclusion is that the GTV is good car for a road trip. My twin spark ran without fault, and was a comfortable place to be. My only negative is that it could do with a bit more grunt, particularly on uphill sections of fast twisty road, however I am not sure I would want to pay the V6 fuel cost for a similar trip.

Perhaps next year we will a trip into Europe.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

hampshire , scotland , silverstone