Tyre height - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 08-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lancashire

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

Tyre height

Hi guys.

Buying new tyres for the Alfa (picking the rims up from powdercoating tomorrow!) and had a question. The rims are 18" and the tyres on previously were 225/40-18 however when the car had a bit of load in it the tyre would rub against the plastic arch on the rear when going over bumps. Should I stick to 225/40 or would it maybe be better to go for 225/35 instead?

Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
225/40R18 are only 3mm bigger in diameter than the std 225/45R17, so clearance has only changed by 1.5mm

In contrast, 225/35R18 are 19mm smaller than the std 225/45R17 but still 4mm bigger than the std 16" 205/50R16

What is the offset of your 18" rims?
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader
County: West Sussex
On one of my V6s I run 8J 18s with 225/40s & Eibach -20mm springs + early style TS rear bumpstops. ET is -40 with 12mm hubcentric spacers & no clearance problems but with 16mm spacers it rubbed.

If the OP's wheels' ET is -35** then I would suspect worn/soft rear shocks + broken or no bumpstops.

**I only used this as a usual figure for aftermarket wheels but anywhere between -40 & -22 should give clearance ok.

I've just advised another V6 owner to junk his rear Konis for new std spec shocks(he bought Monroe as KYB weren't immediately available) & it cured his rubbing problem...17" Teles, Eibachs & no bumpstops. He's very happy with the Monroes & was about to change the whole rear suspension set up(suspecting the springs as everyone thinks Konis last forever) before I suggested trying just the shocks as a cheap 'temporary' cure.

Here's a rather long winded post I did earlier in another thread: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ml#post5469578

Tel: 01273 85 77 95
Mob: 079 73 39 39 74

Last edited by CGTVs; 09-07-13 at 17:19. Reason: add **, alter 15mm to 16mm

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

height , tyre