Dropping the roof failed, how to do it manually - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 05-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Wiltshire

Member car:

Dropping the roof failed, how to do it manually

So I have a X reg 916 Spider 3.0 V6 with an electric roof. The one push roof fold button operates as far as undoing the rear section bolts but the cover does not lift to allow the roof to collapse.

There is a motor on the rear bulkhead that would appear to control the unlocking of the cover to allow the hydraulic ram to lift the cover. At the moment this motor should activate to unlock nothing happens but it does sound as if the motor is operating (it would seem it is not driving the gear wheel)

I've tried the buttons behind the driver's seat. It makes no difference.

I've looked for the T-bar to manually unlock the cover but there is no T-bar plus the manual diagram is unclear and looks like I'd end up undoing the Nyloc nut on the actuating arm for the catch.

The dealer who supplied the car is going to sort this out but I want to use the car this weekend.

Any advice on how to get the cover unlocked so I can fold the roof manually?
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1265
County: Waikato

Member car:

Gtv V6

If the dealer is going to sort it out free of charge, leave it alone

Otherwise, you might try tapping the motor that releases the cover. It sounds as though you have the usual stripped gear/jammed gear problem. This is assuming the back edge of the hood lifts fully (window folds in half) and the cover is about to open.

If the edge of the hood doesn't lift, perhaps the hydraulic pump isn't running or is low on fluid.

When you want to get really serious with it, note that AlfaOBD connects to the hood ECU to read fault codes.

'00 GTV V6, '08 FIAT 500, shell and parts for a '71 FIAT 850 Coupe
Global Mod Team
County: Suffolk
The manual buttons just unlock/lock the catches. Once unlocked turn the ignition off as otherwise the system remains pressurised and the hood won't move.
Once unlocked with the ignition off you can raise the cover and manually fold the hood. Once folded turn the ignition on and press the cover button to lock it. Do the opposite to raise it.
It sounds far more complicated than it is !
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
They can be converted to manual in a flash. but keep the switch connections and switches.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 07-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Wiltshire

Member car:

Thanks for the replies. After a few further attempts the manual switch finally opened the catches and I was able to put the roof down. Today I'm going to try it again using the main switch to see if the problem is replicated.

It looks like this could be an annoying occasional problem and very difficult to trace where the problem really is.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

dropping , failed , manually , roof