Another cooling fan thread! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 29-06-13 Thread Starter
County: West Yorkshire
Another cooling fan thread!

Apologies for yet another fan thread! I have spent the last couple of hours working through the other threads, but nothing seems similar to my problem. I have a 2003 GTV CF3 and recently had to replace the radiator after it sprung a leak. The radiator change went fine, but since then I have had a problem with the engine cooling fan and aircon not working. I suspected that I had disturbed something during the radiator change, but visually everything looks fine. I replaced the temperature sensor on the thermostat, as I had a spare and nothing, but as in other threads, disconnecting the sensor with ignition on caused the fan to start, but at high speed and after a delay of a few seconds. I then connected to the car ECU using Multiecuscan and did a force on both low and high speeds. Forcing the low speed fan, I can hear the relay clicking, but the fan doesn't operate. Force the high speed fan and it runs fine. The software also reports the temperature, which appears to be correct, although there is a difference between the reported temp and the gauge temp (which I believe is not unusual). I have also checked the fan resistor, which appeared to be visually OK and was showing a low ohm resistance on my multimeter. What are your thoughts on this? Does it point towards a duff relay or could it still be the resistor? Could this be related to the aircon problem? I was very careful when changing the rad that I didn't disturb the aircon rad, but of course there is a possibility. Is there anything that could affect both low speed fan and aircon? By the way, I forced the aircon clutch relay in Multiecuscan and it worked fine. Thanks for your help!!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Surrey
Bridge the resistor and see if you get full fan speed when upto temp, the resistor is the weak link

The ohm rating is on the resistor mine was 0.23ohms and it was the spade to resistor weld that was the issue not a broken resistor wire

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

cooling , fan , thread