Looking for a V6
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: United Kingdom
I was talking to an MOT tester yesterday about the handbrake and rear brakes which never seem to be perfect on GTV's he said 9 times out of 10 it's the compensator thats not working properly, when you fitted the 2nd hand calipers did you check them over or refurb them. I got my handabrake back up to scratch by doing the following.
1. Slacken off handbrake from inside the car (adjustment nut is just under the hand brake)
2. Disconnect both cables from the calipers (they just unhook it's simple)
3. Pump brake pedal 10-15 times
4. Reconnect handbrake cables
5. With handbrake still in released position then adjust the nut underneith it until you get a nice 1-2 clicks.
6. Jack car up and with handbrake off just check the rear wheels spin freeley.
In the past i have fitted new discs and Brembo pads and when i did this i checked the rear caliper by pumping the pedal until the piston was out up against my rewind tool then wound it Right back in again and repeated several times, if this is all working correctly on your car then i would say its the compensator not working correctly.
My car passed yesterday ! Yay.
Good luck wth your other bits