Lower wishbones - what to think about when changing - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 03-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Stockholm

Member car:

Lower wishbones - what to think about when changing

Did the yearly inspection this morning (corresponts to MOT in the UK, but isn't made by a garage but by an independent inspection company) and they found a jerky joint on the left lower wishbone. Not much to argue about, a common problem on old cars in general and Alfas in particular.

Now, I'm planning to change both sides, and to do the job myself. Also I thought I change the bushings and the link rod to the anti roll bar while I'm at it, and do a wheel alignment afterwards.

Is there anything in particular to think about? Part brands to avoid? Hints on how to do the job, etc. etc.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

GTV twinspark

Stick to branded parts, not ebay specials, regardless of how tempting the low prices are.. Alfaworkshop seem to only sell decent branded bits. Lots of threads on here about replacing wishbones, and I reckon its much easier if you take the strut out, and fit the new wishbone first, then refit the strut.

Also before taking it for 4 wheel alignment, remove the rear wheel tie rods, unsieze in a vice and coat the threads in coppaslip. Access to the inner lock nut is horrific and if its even vaguely seized theres no way anyone will be able to shift it.

(removing the tie rod is easy, just 2 bolts, but the inner one only has around 45 degrees of movement for the spanner, so its tedious unless you have a ratcheting ring spanner )
AO Silver Member
County: Aberdeenshire
Don't buy the cheap droplinks off Shop4Parts. They don't last long at all (rubber perished after 2 weeks).

However i do recomend shop4parts for the wishbones.

When you do the job jack up the whole of the front end in one go then unbolt both droplinks at the same time. If you have any trouble lining the new wisbones up then just unbolt the strut from the upright.

Have a couple of spare pinchbolts on standbye (for the lower part of the hub that secures the balljoint). They often seize. For that reason stock up on Plusgas.

fit the new droplinks before you fit the wishbone and leave the wishbone mount bolts hand tight. Lower the car to the ground and then fit the lower bush and nut of the droplink, then torque everything up to the correct torque.

Hope this helps,

Alfa GT 3.2 V6 - Daily Driver.
Alfa 145 QV ph1 in green (Death by rust project) For Sale.
Alfa GTV TS ph2 in blue

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

changing , lower , wishbones