Progress or digress......um?
It was proving more than difficult to tune so i removed the rockets and spark plugs and ran another compression test [something i should have done before i resembled it all].
Turns out i have 2 pistons failing??WT??
i decided to check the rings as i have lapped the valves in and they are all good.
I checked the rings by pouring some oil with a syringe into each sparkplug well and ran yet another compression test on each cylinder.....same 2 failed. so its not the rings?
I clearly have to remove the heads again this time both as 1 from each bank failed
I removed the heads today. Quite a task with the block in the engine bay. But it is doable.
The trick with the head closest the front is to remove the bonnet panel at the front and release the screws for the radiator. i didn't remove it, i simply slid it downward to allow enough room for the head to come free and it dd only just!
Evidence found: looking at the top of the pistons again for the rear bank but for the first time on the front bank i noticed 2 crescent shapes etched into both of the failed pistons.
Conclusion: i must have been too rough when setting up TDC and timing the cams when i was turning the engine by hand.
oh well lesson learned.
So next will be...2 new gaskets and 4 inlet valves and much work ahead.
I have made a few bad errors but i am getting to know the alfa v6 very well now.
I changed both belts and tensioners pulleys etc and cleaned the throttle body on my work GTV on the weekend and lucky too as they were very perished and now she is running sooooo smooth.