Spider hood cover motor clean up guide - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Spider hood cover motor clean up guide

If the hood cover won't open it might be due to a dirty motor.

Cleaning it up is quite easy. Parts of it are quite delicate so be careful. If you're hamfisted get someone else to do it..

The motor is in the cubby hole behind the lining. This is it:

First you need to release the cables. Take note of how many threads are poking through each of the nuts so you can fit them back in the same place. Pushing the rotor arm in against the motor housing will allow you to rotate it and release the tension in the cables.

Now remove the 3 nuts holding the motor in place and remove the motor.

Turn the motor over, remove the 4 screws and release the back cover. It is spring-loaded so be careful it doesn't fly apart

Be careful the black wheel at the top of the motor shaft doesn't fall out. It should have a couple of plastic washers on it. Don't lose them

You can also have a look to see what condition your plastic gear is in.

With a long close fitting screwdriver undo the two screws holding the motor to the gear box.

And ease the motor out

Note the gasket - put this to one side then ease out the plastic brush housing and the motor shaft

This is what you need to clean up:

I used some very fine wet and dry paper. Contact cleaner will probably work better but I didn't have any. I recommend against wire wool as it may clog things up with bits of metal.

Within a few minutes it will be clean and shiny:

Getting the motor back together is fiddly. You may need to remove the purple plastic plugs and springs to get the brush housing back on. The purple plugs are press fit. Be very delicate and don't lose the springs!

(Please note the following photo shows the brush housing on upside-down just to show you how NOT to do it )

Make sure you have a firm grip of the motor shaft and brush housing when you insert it back into the magnet housing as the magnets will try and pull the shaft out of your hands. Press the brush housing back in place (so it it flush with the top of the housing). The shaft needs to be pressed down into the housing so the commutator is below the plastic ring as seen in this picture:

Don't forget to put the gasket back between the motor and the gear housing.

Now place it back in the gear housing and fasten the screws. Make sure the bearing is in place on the top of the shaft:

Remember to put the plastic bit back over the bearing:

If you like, before you refit the motor you can plug it in and use the hood release switch behind the drivers seat to check it spins.

Refit the back cover to the gear housing. Refit the motor into the car not forgetting the rotor stop under the two nuts on the right.

Refit the cables and then press the rotor arm in and rotate it into the closed position.

Once I had refitted the motor the hood LED was flashing an error code. I used the two switches behind the drivers seat to first release the back of the hood and then unlatch the hood cover. This then allowed me to finish the opening sequence and then close again using the main switch and cleared the error.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Gauteng

Member car:

GTV 2.8 Turbo

Brilliant post thanks.
Originally Posted by turbonutters View Post
Brilliant post thanks.
you're welcome.. and you don't even have a convertible
AO Member
County: Denbighshire

Member car:

Spider TS Lusso

Great post!! Thanks
AO Member
County: Buenos Aires
1 question

Hi! I'm sorry for replying to such an old thread. But as this one is extremely detailed on the process of dismantling and putting together the electric motor, I have only one question. Do you need to use a special grease or lubricant for the plastic gear when reassembling everything?
AO Member
County: -
I think any grease would be ok. It is only a plastic cog.
It sounds difficult but is very easy to dismantle it.
AO Member
County: Buenos Aires
Thanks man!!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

clean , cover , guide , hood , motor , spider