Welding welding welding - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 23-05-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Essex
Welding welding welding

2001 red gtv lusso ( ruby to us ),

In for an mot thought just a few things, comes back with floor plate welding etc, removal of seats 5 hrs and welding 5 hrs? Ball joint and other bits, 1000 is this ok or is it a bit strong I know the metal needs to be seen but what's the going rate for welding a floor pan? With the bonnet and bumpers resprayed the job is 1600.

Had the car 3 yrs love driving it, spent a bit on her, but as someone once said to me that its a love affair not just an normal car relationship.

Cheers kraut 87
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Leicestershire

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6 24v

5 hours to remove the seats??? I could have them out in 10mins!
AO Gold Member
County: Merseyside
Originally Posted by GTV_Blue View Post
5 hours to remove the seats??? I could have them out in 10mins!

It would need the carpets and underlay removing and then everything refitting, say hour and a half two hours max, garage is not going to rush..
I just fitted new front wishies with ball joints today, about an hour for both, already had the old ones out. less than an hour, cost me 45 for both and i have to work with no power tools and on my drive on axle stands and in no rush..
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
Ive never spent 5 hours preparing and welding up any recent Alfa.They should sack their welder cos he is falling asleep on the job!
AO Silver Member
County: Cardiff
that is very steep.

had the same issue on my v6 last year. had inner and outer sills both sides, had both sides where the chassis legs met. had the inner arch near side done and a few other bits. all done to a very high standard(commented by 2 garages that have had the car on the ramp) & undersealed. this guy did a meticulous job. manufacturing exact fit plates and stuff. although a costly mot his part of the bill only came to 500.

Get a second opinion!!

AO Member
County: Hants

Member car:

GT...Golf GT

Any car that needs welding this year will need more next year in most cases....5 hours/1k's worth is ridiculous on a GTV as you can buy a freshly MOT'd P2 for less than that these days.

Either the car is truly rotten or your garage are over estimating the work required...so either bin the car or take it somewhere else.

For the record I've owned a couple of GTV's and worked on dozens of them over the years, they tend to be in better shape than your typical 156 underneath and truly rotten examples are quite rare...though obviously some do exist.
(Post Link) post #7 of 8 Old 04-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Essex
Thanks for your messages, and info, got the cost down to 500 to 700 with a ball joint cover and the car will pass, it had rusted where there is the drainage points at the back, so always wise to check in future if buying a gtv soon, big thanks to avanti in Ipswich and come the 22 nd she will be back just need the lacquer on the bonnet and bumpers sprayed and the teledial wheels refurbished
AO Member
County: Suffolk

Member car:

2000 V6

Avanti are v good here in Ipswich.

Let me know if you find anywhere decent in Suffolk/Essex for your tele's - mine need a treat as well.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider