2000 Alfa Spider Throttle Cable Replacement - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 02-05-13 Thread Starter
County: Western Australia
2000 Alfa Spider Throttle Cable Replacement

Hi Ya'll. I'm a Yank living in Perth Australia. This is my first post. My car is a white 2.0 TS 5spd. It has 90,000k. It's my first Alfa. I was hesitant to buy it,having heard of reliability issues with them in the past. Anyhoo, Since January,both window regulators have broken. I've ordered replacements. Now the throttle cable has snapped. I've read most of the posts regarding this repair. Mine seems a bit different. I jacked up both sides of the vehicle and put it on jack stands. I've lowered the engine by releasing the top right mount and bottom brace in front of the right wheel. This gave me the clearance to access the nut and plastic thing that goes into the fire wall. I took off the plastic piece and grommet it plugs into. There is still something holding the cable inside the fire wall. It looks like another rubber piece. Looks like I am going to have to work from inside the car now. I will let you know how it goes. Any help will be great. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130502_140916.jpg (57.2 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by confusion; 02-05-13 at 06:31. Reason: Add Photo
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
Can't really tell from your picture, but the swivel on the bulkhead should be a double one - one for the bonnet cable and one for the throttle cable, IIRC. The cable end should just slot in to the swivel, although access is awkward. I should point out this is from memory - its a while since I stripped a GTV.
AO Gold Member
County: Merseyside
.....I got the cables out without moving the engine...

If I remember there is a rubber grommet in the bulkhead, sure with a bit of effort it pushes through..

Welcome to AO
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 03-05-13 Thread Starter
County: Western Australia

Thanks for the help. Yes, there is another hole below with a black plastic swivel that releases the bonnet. So far, I've removed the white plastic end of the throttle cable, a black rubber grommet, and another black small rubber cone from that hole in the photo. There still appears to be some sort of black plastic thing in the hole that I can see when I pull on the cable. What concerns me is that I don't know what the cable is attached to, nor how it is attached. I don't want to break anything by just yanking hard on it. I haven't had much time to fiddle with it. Maybe it's just a matter of twisting and prodding and it will be obvious how to put the new one in when I get the old cable out,but, I can't see in the hole to know what I am up against. And I don't know what the end of the cable looks like,because I cant find a replacement and have to have a cable made.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

2000 , alfa , cable , replacement , spider , throttle