maf sensor fault? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By snipes99
  • 1 Post By Kenich

(Post Link) post #1 of 24 Old 10-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

gtvcup no 70

maf sensor fault?

hi folks just had cup remapped and said that maf sensor faulty due to engine manage light on but car runs fine does anyone think i should buy another sensor ??
jakes alfa likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire
If your MAF was faulty you would know. When driving you hit a brick wall at about 4000 revs. Have you had anyone with decent diagnostics read the fault code?
(Post Link) post #3 of 24 Old 11-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

gtvcup no 70

hi yes p100 or something code he said which pointed to the mass meter
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

GTV

Did he clear it to see if the fault re-appeared?
AO Member

County: Leicestershire

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6 24v

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Paddy View Post
If your MAF was faulty you would know. When driving you hit a brick wall at about 4000 revs. Have you had anyone with decent diagnostics read the fault code?
This is not acurate, the MAF sensor can give all sorts of different problems depending on the failure mode, including the one you describe. I have had 2 MAF go in 6m due to having dirty air getting in because the air filter was not sealed. The first completely cut the engine and would not start again until I unplugged it; the second (both genuine Bosch btw) did a hiccup at about 5k then the warning light came on and stayed on but did not cause any problem until I was sitting in traffic, engine stalled and would not start until I unplugged it.

Snipes, aren't you in Countesthorpe? Pop it round and I'll run AlfaDiag on it, PM me.

Gary

Sorry, getting confused, I think you're in Tamworth aren't you?

"When I see an Alfa Romeo I lift my hat" - Henry Ford
(Post Link) post #6 of 24 Old 11-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

gtvcup no 70

thanks for the offer kid but i live in stourbrideg bit of a trek for me i have took tthe plunge and bought a new sensor to the tune of 166 squid will let you know when it arrives if it resets enigine light cheers anyway
(Post Link) post #7 of 24 Old 11-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

gtvcup no 70

hi yes he did but gave error code of p100
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6 24v

Oooo, 166?? You should have checked my previous posts; I've found a direct replacement Vauxhall part for 85! Vauxhall Parts Bosch | Air (Mass) Flow Meter - 93171760 | 0281002184 -

See this thread http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...on-a-v6-2.html
AO Member

County: Worcestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV_Blue View Post
Oooo, 166?? You should have checked my previous posts; I've found a direct replacement Vauxhall part for 85! Vauxhall Parts Bosch | Air (Mass) Flow Meter - 93171760 | 0281002184 -

Hope you're right, as I just ordered the last one in stock!
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
My son had a MAF problem the same as GTV_ Blue, car stopped completely after hitting the limiter. I was about to order one from the link when my lad was given a virtually new one by Dan17583. It was from a 2 litre 156 TS but again the sensor in the smaller housing has the same number. EML went out and the car is back on song, which means I'll have to try to keep up with the pair of them again on the way to Spring Alfa day.
AO Member

Quote:

I should never have doubted! You, Sir are a money saving genius! The actual MAF is indeed the same part, bonus that the tube seems to be too. Many, many thanks!
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6 24v

No problems compadre
AO Member

County: Central Greece
Garage

Member car:

916 Spider

Just a question here, with which product can i clean the maf?Just a filter spray?
MGS
AO Member

County: East Sussex

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2 V6

Hi guys, I need some help here got a similar problem but not exactly the same!

I have a 3.0 litre GTV 2001, its has a re-map and Carbon Dynamics Induction Box/Filter. Apart from a slightly lumpy idle, it has been running well with masses of power, up until a few weeks ago at which point it literally felt like it had lost around 50 BHP.

Its not running particularly rough and doesn't hit a brick wall with a sudden loss in power in a specific part of the rev range, it feels like it has lost power over the whole range and its instant throttle response and free revving has turned into a flat gradual increase.

I noticed the Air flow pipe (with the resonator boxes on it) had small splits in it and after a few days of hunting around with no luck to find a decent replacement I bit the bullet and purchased a brand new unit (ouch...)

Fitted it with high hopes but she's still running flat as a pancake...A lot of things point to MAF but just wanted to be sure before shelling out more money, could it be anything else??

Is it worth disconnecting as people have suggested and if it runs fine then its the MAF? Also if I've had a remap would an ECU reset be suitable or not needed?

Lastly is the Vauxhall MAF posted here by GTV blue exactly the same unit or just the same sensor?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

MGS
AO Member

Yep, sounds like a dud MAF to me. Try unplugging it, if it solves your problem then thats what it is, if the problem still occurs just plug it back in and the engine management light should go back out. It does sounds like a MAF problem to me, I had similar symptoms on both the 156 and GTV. And the vauxhall MAF is the same electrical bit and pipe, but the pipe is a different code that is all, but the important actual sensor is exactly the same!
MGS
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2 V6

Thats great thanks for the quick response, will unplug the MAF today and see how I get on!
MGS
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2 V6

Right back again after disconnecting MAF and not what I expected at all. The engine light came on as expected and it stalled but restarted and it ran fine but no obvious gain in power and she drove pretty much exactly the same. I plugged the MAF back in and it seemed to cure the lack of power.....pick up was good, and flatness seemed to dissappear.

After starting her the next day back to square one again with the flatness and lack of response back. I tried the whole exercise again and got exactly the same response. So MAF is now plugged back in and it seems to be responding as it should until I bet, when I start her up again tomorrow morning. Idle is still lumpy as well.

Starting to lose the will.....Anyone got any ideas?
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6 24v

Sounds like you could have a dodgy connection on the MAF
MGS
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2 V6

Quick update, I've checked wires etc. and all seems ok and the fact that the engine light comes on suggests the wires are ok...I think...

Anyways I repeated the process of unplugging the MAF and plugging back in and got exactly the same result. So when I unplug the MAF she runs just as sluggish and the engine warning light comes on.

When I plug the MAF back in, the power returns and pulls like a train (and the engine light stays on) and power remains as it should for a while, until I've started her up a few times and then power drops again (and the engine light goes off).

So seems like everytime I unplug then plug MAF back in she runs as she should but engine light comes on, then the power drops and the engine light goes off at the same time. Looks like the ECU is doing something MAF related but when it does it the power drops off.

This is counterintuitive to what it should be like surely?? Unplugging the MAF should resolve power or could it be the ECU is taking a while to adjust to the MAF being unplugged and then when plugged back in again its taking a little while to adjust back?
AO Member

County: Cornwall

Member car:

gtv

If we were talking a ts, I bought off e-bay a maf spray cleaner. I am not at all mechanical, but a couple of squirts of his stuff changed the car!!

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS View Post
Quick update, I've checked wires etc. and all seems ok and the fact that the engine light comes on suggests the wires are ok...I think...

Anyways I repeated the process of unplugging the MAF and plugging back in and got exactly the same result. So when I unplug the MAF she runs just as sluggish and the engine warning light comes on.

When I plug the MAF back in, the power returns and pulls like a train (and the engine light stays on) and power remains as it should for a while, until I've started her up a few times and then power drops again (and the engine light goes off).

So seems like everytime I unplug then plug MAF back in she runs as she should but engine light comes on, then the power drops and the engine light goes off at the same time. Looks like the ECU is doing something MAF related but when it does it the power drops off.

This is counterintuitive to what it should be like surely?? Unplugging the MAF should resolve power or could it be the ECU is taking a while to adjust to the MAF being unplugged and then when plugged back in again its taking a little while to adjust back?
@MGS

Did you ever found out what caused the problem? I have the exact same problem with my GTV 3.0 V6 24V.
When I unplug my MAF sensor the car is unable to rev. When I plugin the MAF sensor again, the car pulls like a rocket, till the engine light goes off. I strongly suspect the MAF sensor of grounding of the sensor. Can you tell me what caused your problem? Thanks!

County: -
Hi,

Did you ever found out what caused the problem with the MAF sensor. I have the exact same problem with my GTV 3.0 V6 24V. When I unplug my MAF sensor the car is unable to rev. When I plugin the MAF sensor again, the car pulls like a rocket, till the engine light goes off. I strongly suspect the MAF sensor or grounding of the sensor. Can you tell me what caused your problem? Thanks!
AO Member

County: Glasgow
Quote:

Will this MAF fit the V6 ?

Also, does anyone have a picture of where the MAF is? Would this location be similar to where it will be on my V6 or is the MAF connected between the hose and the cylindrical air filter ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a03d54d2.jpg (59.8 KB, 8 views)
AO Member

County: Wiltshire
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6

Its the one labelled air flow meter, looks to be in the right area yeah. There are lots of cars /vans which used the same MAF, If you google the part number lots should come up.
AceCobra1 likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
fault , maf , sensor