Electric Window Fault - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 19-03-13 Thread Starter
County: Warwickshire
Electric Window Fault

Hi All, after the help last time I thought I would try again but with a different fault.

I have a 1996 Spider and the electric window on the passenger side is not working. The drivers side is fine, there is power to the switches both on the passenger door and drivers door. When you click the drivers side switch you can hear the relay cutting in but nothing on the passenger side. I thought the problem was a black box underneath the drivers side dash but on removing it, I have been told this is the single drop control for the drivers side only and would not be the problem.

A couple of people have shown me the window control box and said it is under the glovebox on the passenger side, but I believe this also controls other inerior functions such as lighst etc, which are all workign okay. Two questions:

1 - all fuses are okay is it likely to be this maion control unit
2 - if it is this main control unit where is it and do you have to remove the glovebox etc

all suggestions gratefully received. Marky
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Bedfordshire
On a 96 you won't have the Integrated Services Unit behind the glove box which you are correct in saying controls lots of other things besides the windows.

According to the wiring diagram you have been advised correctly about the box under the driver's side dash. That is the control unit for the driver's window only ( although it is full control of the window not just the one-shot device ).

For the passenger window power goes from fuse G310 into the DRIVER'S door to the driver's side passenger window switch. From there two wires pass out of the door and into the passenger door and connecting to the switch there. The passenger door switch is then wired directly to the motor.

The passenger window does not even have a relay. Just direct switching.

The wiring method has both poles of the motor permanently +12v live ( with the ignition on ) and operating one of the switches in either direction merely earths one of the motor's poles.

That's the first place I'd look. Check the motor has +12V on both contacts of the connector with the ignition on and both switches at rest.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 23-03-13 Thread Starter
County: Warwickshire
Many thanks

Thanks for the help I thought I was going mad in that I could not find this control unit. I will check the power to the window switch and let you know how I got on. Thanks again and lets hope the snow disappears soon!! Marky

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

electric , fault , window