Drivebelt noise? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 17-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Nottinghamshire
Drivebelt noise?

Hi Guys, got an early '95 on an 'N' 916 ts spider not been started for approx 2 months and has fired up ok, but with a noise that sounds like a rubbing drive or cambelt..Anyone had this before? I'm concerned in case its a tensioner problem although we had all the belts changed last year and have done minimal milage since? It sounds like the belt is rubbing on the cover....I'm reluctant to drive it in case it does serious damage, but then I am paranoid with the belts on our ts's...BTW, cars only done 41 ooo miles...Help....Cheers Rich

PS, how easy is it to take the top belt cover off..? car does not have air con..?

156 Sportwagon 2 Litre veloce Alfa red 2001 with OMP drilled and grooved front discs, OMP Road & Track pads front & rear.

Alfa spider 2 litre ts Alfa red 1996

Alfasud Sprint Veloce 1351cc S3 restoration project
Ducati 900ss 1992
Ducati 900ss 1979 restoration project

Last edited by alfarich156; 17-03-13 at 14:53. Reason: brainfade
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Bedfordshire
Easy enough to take the cover off - I think you can remove the top one without taking the lower one off first. Hopefully someone will confirm. Mine though had an odd selection of
hex and star/torx head screws - all 6mm but when your fiddling about by feel you need to get the right tool in the recessed hole. Also some of mine were f'ing tight and you might miss
one too .

AO Silver Member
County: Hertfordshire
Auxcilary belt often makes a noise, easy enough to change.
AO Member
County: Essex
not that easy to remove the cover. mines a phase 2 2000, make sure you mark all the bolts to replace in correct position.i get a large piece of cardboard and draw the cover on it and place the bolts init as they are removed. check out the aux belt first, if thats not rubbing your need to remove the cambelt covers mine was mainly one piece and the aux idler needs to be removed before all the cover can be removed (you can ease the top part of cover away enough to see the 2 cambelt sprockets and cambelt for inspection, at the top of engine. by removing all the top bolts and check for any rubber dust inside or obvious rubbing)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

drivebelt , noise