GTV 2.0 Oil leak. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 13-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London
GTV 2.0 Oil leak.

A routine trip along the A40, when a large piece of debris comes hurtling along from underneath the car in front. It looked like something rather large and plastic, body trim or something.
Impossible to avoid, so I have to brace for the impact and trundle over it with a bit of a crunch.
Didn't appear to cause anything until i returned to my car at work this evening (some 12 hours later) to find a small puddle of oil beneath the car.

On checking the oil level in the car, it has dropped to just over the minimum mark.

Looking under the bonnet, there isn't anything obvious from above, but under the car it looks wet and oily in a number of places.

Unless it's incredibly coincidental, it seems that the debris has cause the leak, and so must be something on the underside.
Any ideas?

These photos are taken from the passenger side wheel looking towards the back of the car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo 13-03-2013 18 54 06.jpg (63.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Photo 13-03-2013 18 54 11.jpg (72.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Photo 13-03-2013 18 54 14.jpg (72.9 KB, 14 views)
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Bedfordshire
While I'm not that experienced with the car (fairly new owner meself) your pictures show what appears to me as historic oil around the gearbox area. From what I can tell the engine sump area looks dry.
In fact mine looks similar. I would put some fresh paper down and try and track where the drips are coming from. If possible clean some of the cr@p off too to ease visibilty. Also note that gearbox oil has a distinctive smell ( not unlike cats **** apparently).

Unless you were extremely unlucky and somehow cracked a part of thee gearbox housing my best guess would be coincidence.

Wow who would have thought 'ss1p' backwards would be a banned word !
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

gtv ts phase 2

mine was like that , i had the use of a mates ramp and used his brake cleaner lol when he wasent looking and cleaned it up
(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 14-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
When I went to look this morning, there was not a trace on the driveway.
Maybe this is just all one big coincident!
Ill have a good look in Saturday when I can get underneath, just to see if there are any obvious leaks.
AO Member
County: Leicestershire

My TS Spider has a slight leak from the balancer shaft oil seal, this drops onto the gearbox and give the impression of a gearbox oil leak, but its not.

Place some cardbourd under the affected area to check the actual loss, which if slight is nothing to worry about if the engine oil level is checked regularly as you should with an Alfa. In my case oil consumption is low, its only done 40K miles, so I'm not too concerned and cardboard keeps the garage floor clean

My local Indy diagnosed it and we discussed the "cure" to do oil seals at that side of the engine requires gearbox removal. If your going to do that it makes sense to replace the clutch. So to replace oil seals that cost a few pounds you end up with maybe a 500 bill.

You can buy a lot of oil for 500, his words not mine.

To summarise: If the clutch needs doing at some time, then I'll have the oil seals done at the same time.

Just keep an eye on it, drive it, enjoy it. Hope this helps.
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 16-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for the insight. There was a slight amount over the last 48 hours, but very slight, and hasn't affected the level since it was last topped up.
Like you say, if it is the same cause then it's not worth getting it sorted until the next major overhaul.
I'm not too worried at the moment, old cars leak, and mine is now 14 years old

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

gtv , leak , oil