Spider Parts... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 03-08-05 Thread Starter
Spider Parts...

Hi everybody

I'm new to the Alfa forum (I'm usually found on Pistonheads), but I though I'd best come and ask the experts seeing as I have some Alfa specific questions.

I'm having a Alfa Spider (1998 2.0 Lusso) checked out by my mechanic today.

Owning both older Jags and TVRs I have found there to be a ready supply of reasonably priced parts from various sources . My only concern I have is over the rumours I've heard about the price of Alfa parts. Is this true? And if so, are there other sources of parts other than the Alfa main-dealers?

Also I have heard that parts availability is not always good and that people have had to wait quite a wile for them to arrrive. Any truth in this?

Oh and as an aside, the car I'm looking at is supposedly a Lusso but doesn't have the power hood but does have air-con. does this sound correct or is it a non-Lusso car that had air-con specced as an extra when new?

Thanks in advance for all advice received.

Last edited by Bobfrance; 03-08-05 at 10:00.
Sponsored Links
Re: Spider Parts...

Hi Bob...welcome.

Your Spider is indeed a Lusso but with manual hood. The earlier cars were sold like this, ours is the same.

As for parts, there are a couple of worthy companies out there such as EB Spares, Shop4parts and buypartsby. The Alfa Romeo Owners Club mag does a directory which is very useful...but you have to join up for that

Dealers for parts, depends what you want and at what time of the year. Italy has a two week shutdown (August??) which can slow things down and some of the more obscure parts are troublesome. But, everyday stuff is usually about 2-3 days.

AO Member
County: -

In addition to wrinx's comments regarding sourcing parts you can also ask the AROC GTV/Spider registrar for information/advice. I don't think you have to join for that although to be honest the discount you get on parts more than pays for the annual membership fee (well it does when you run five Alfas....!!)
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 04-08-05 Thread Starter

Thanks for the good advice guys.

It turns out the Spider I was looking at needs about £1k spending on it to get it up to scratch. (big list of little jobs, worst of which being overdue for a cam change but also radiator, brake pads & disks, air-con, handbrake, various bushes the list goes on).

Funnily enough my mechanic agreed that it still drove nicely, but added the caveat "but I wouldn't drive it far without getting it sorted"

I'm still willing to buy it, but very much doubt the the guy selling it will re-negotiate to that extent. More likely he'll wait for someone less thorough to come along and pay his asking price.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Anyone want a nice TVR 280i BTW?

AO Member

You are lucky you have the manual hood.

The electric hood ecu from Alfa is £910 inc vat and so far it has taken 2 weeks to get it orederd from Italy...and it still is not here

Good luck with it....I have already replaced the rad, bushes and the brakes are next

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

parts , spider