Spider rear screen replacement - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 28-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hertfordshire
Spider rear screen replacement

Just a bit of info if you're looking to get a spider ready for "summer" - whatever that may mean this year.

Having had a couple of issues with poor and broken rear screens I happened on a place near Southend airport who are happy to help, and replaced the plastic screen in my spider (now my brothers)

They'll replace the plastic for 80 if you take the screen into them, but even better take the car to them and they'll do the whole thing start to finish for 125

The only rider to that is that because the allen bolts that hold it in are a pain in the arse and usually at least a couple round off, then the new screen will get re-fixed with rivets in the same way MGF's are fixed. And if it ever needs doing again then it's going to be a case of drill off rivet heads, re-rivet

So, if you want to keep the car all original, take it out yourself - good luck with the bolts etc, if you just want it to look right, pay the extra 45 and it's over and done

They're called Hoods Galore, speak to Simon Tolworthy, 01702 547 999 and mention that you saw it on the Alfaowners forum with the prices as shown :-)

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: West Yorkshire
One I've just got needs it doing.......... sadley too far away.
However, there was a place in Wakefield I used years ago a a Cavvy convertable that might still be in existance. !!
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 01-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hertfordshire
Could call them and see if postal return is an option - Simon's a decent guy and tries to help...
AO Member
County: Lancashire

Member car:

1999 Spider

I did a write up on replacing scrren a while back. http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...oof-panel.html

Note that you can get bolts from B&Q that will replace the ones from the fixing bar.
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
I did 4 last year its actually a simple operation if the screen you buy has the correct zip.Some replicas have a non standard zip so its an almost impossible job.
If you get a screen with the right corresponding zip to original simply unzip the old one undo the screws on the base undo the elasticated side tensioners held on by poppers and fit the new one.Takes under an hour.
AO Member
County: Nottinghamshire
I did my own last summer, it was easy enough to do apart from the fact that all the short bolts were rusted in which necessitated me drilling them out and replacing them with pop rivets. Still not a huge problem though, took me around 2 hrs and bought the replacement from EBay for 120. Noticed you can still get them but they've gone up in price.

AO Gold Member
Yes, apart from the silly bolts, this is an easy job if you have the correct matching screen. Even I did the job in just over an hour, if I can do it then anyone can

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

rear , replacement , screen , spider