Crumball Rally Preparation - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 09-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Nottinghamshire
Crumball Rally Preparation

Hi Folks, I've just entered my Phase 2 Spider into the Crumball Rally starting on the 7th of June in Reims. To be fair I've had no major problems with the car but I will be undertaking a fair bit of maintenance prep to make sure it's ready for the long haul drive. Cam belt and water pump are first major item and it needs new disc & pads then the MOT before June. Unfortunately the fuel flap has just decided to stay resolutely closed and reading on this thread there seems to be some confusion as to where the red pull cord is to open the flap? I managed to get it home on fumes last week and I'll try and suss out the main problem as soon as I get time but for the interim just need to get some fuel in there. I've looked in the boot and in the cubby behind the drivers seat and I cannot find the red pull cord. Any pointers would be appreciated?

Anyone else on here entered the Crumball?
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Merseyside
Right hand upper side as you look in, well on a GTV anyway, not sure on a spider.
They can come off/snaap might have happened to yours..
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 09-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
Thanks Wayne, I've looked there and can't see it plus that seems a long way from the fuel flap on the spider. The flap seems bang in the middle space between the boot and the cubby behind the drivers seat. Everyone seems clear on the GTV but less sure on the Spider.
AO Member
County: Somerset
On my spider, if you do the hood mechanism half way (engine running so the pump is still running) and stop when the hood clamshell is fully open, then you can find it down in there on the drivers side.
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
Looks like fun although getting a fully legal car for £200 could be a challenge. What do you get for the £200+ entry fee, couldn't see what was included.
(Post Link) post #6 of 8 Old 09-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
Actually managed to fix the problem just by pulling out and replacing the relay in the boot, obviously just a bad connection so happy days

The £200 is just the price of the car, you can then spend whatever you want to make it road legal. Doesn't apply to me though because I'm in the two seater ragtop category. You actually get very little for your entry fee so the organisers must do alright from this. Just paid £265 for my car and its an extra £65 for every additional entrant over the first two. I get a set of car stickers for this and an award ceremony at the end of the event. The organisers get £30-£35k I reckon just for planning the event and they have very little outlay for this. I've still got to fork out for the ferry crossing, hotel rooms along the route and food etc.
There are a maximum of 90 cars entered, and I'm told its always sold out. There were 27 places left when I last looked
(Post Link) post #7 of 8 Old 26-05-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
I have a couple of weeks left before the rally

The Crumball Rally - Banger Rally - Banger Rallies

I have had much more work to do on the car than I realised. Got to get it in to get the air con topped up after changing the condenser, two new front tyres then off to the MOT station. I've learned a lot about the car during this process due to the amount of jobs I've done but completed the Cam belt and balancer belt change yesterday. Not as easy to change as the Alfa 159 I had to not difficult either, I bought the cam locks but did not need the DTI gauge, the timing marks were very clear on the crank pulley and the cam locks sorted out timing at the top end.I did have the special tools for tensioning both tensioners which made life a little easier. Also changed waterpump, cam tensioner, auxiliary pulley and balancer belt tensioner.

The rest of completed jobs are.

New front discs and pads plus fluid change
New off side inner cv boot. (A fiddly job)
New clutch slave cylinder (no problems bleeding it)
New o/s and n/s bottom wishbones and tie rods.
New stainless steel exhaust
New platinum spark plugs (£100 )
Oil and filter change
Air filter change
New radiator
New a/c condenser
New rear discs and pads.

Haven't had time to fix the roof hydraulic rams so that will be a job for when I return.
AO Member
County: Scottish Borders
Hi Yul
If you are still looking for tyres, check us out:
Might help with that hefty budget of yours

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

crumball , preparation , rally