Road trip - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 05-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Midlands
Road trip

Planning a blast to Italy later in the year with the GTV V6.
Any recommendations for must take spares ?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire
I've been running around Europe for the last 10 years in Alfas and never carried any spares.

Bought my first GTV TB in Milan, ran her around until some a-hole wrecked her in Luton. Ran the twinny GTV for 4 years commuting from Frankfurt to Brussels, Liege, Geneva & Scunthorpe (someone has to!). The 156 never missed a beat and I have done over 20k in the GT in the last year - Berlin and back just this weekend.

I had some problems with the steering rack on the 3.0 GTV, it had to be replaced but you can't carry enough spares to cover that.

Make sure your car is correctly serviced, looked after and all the good things are done, brakes, tyres, belts etc. Bear in mind you need to carry first aid kits, triangles etc depending on which countries you are in or travelling through. If you are making the trip before April then be aware of winter tyre regulations.

Don't know where you are going in Italy but if you want to play a little, try Calais, Brussels, Aachen, Cologne, Frankfurt (lots of unrestricted Autobahn ) Basel, Geneva then head for the Mont Blanc tunnel, Torino, Milan etc

There are a lot of roadworks between Rimini & Ancona. I drove from Rome across to Ancona last winter, a great drive.

For piece of mind make sure you have good European breakdown cover, remember that in places like France, Belgium & Italy, english is not widely spoken.

The GTV V6 is made for the autobahn especially as a lot of the posers in their dick extension BMW's Audi's Merc's etc are restricted to 155mph - the GTV isn't

If you need somewhere to stay near Frankfurt on the way down, let me know.
AO Member
County: Hampshire
I drove down to Malaga last year and the car didn't miss a beat. Hoping to go on the France run later this year with a group of us that normally go over to the isle of man every year. Only thing I took was an air compressor and a petrol can. Nearly got caught out once or twice with some petrol staions in France not open on a Sunday. If going via France you will need by law the following. Hi viz vest per occupant, spare bulb kit, 2 x breathalyzers (so if you get pulled and have to use one you have a spare), beam deflector for the headlights (i never used mine as the lights are so poor on the GTV anyway) and GB sticker if it isn't already on your number plate. All are available from Halfords. Other than that enjoy your trip and make sure you upload the photo's when your done.

Back in the day! 3.0 V6 GTV in Azzurro Novola. Mine!!.

2.0 Spider in Victoria Blue, Hers still!!

I've settled for a Audi atm, but hey nobody's perfect.
AO Member
County: Staffordshire
A cheap modification that I can recommend - get a 156 interior rear view mirror off ebay for 15 or less, fit the mirror to your existing mirror stalk (the 156 one is too long). Visibility when joining off motorway slip roads and overtaking is much improved, and cosmetically it looks just fine, if anything better than the standard one, no downside.

There is a metal lever behind the rubber cap of the dip-beam headlights which when moved cuts off the left hand part of the dip-beam, shine your lights on a garage door or a wall and move the lever so that there is no left hand dip. Remember to switch them back when you return as it does help in this country.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 08-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Midlands
Thumbs Up

12-10-13 upload 235.jpg

12-10-13 upload 245.jpg

Car went like a dream and planning another boys tour to Italy next year

V6's & V8's over the alps

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

road , trip